CARIBOU, Maine — A young woman who was sexually assaulted by the former Caribou fire chief in 2011 has been awarded $85,000 as part of a consent decree agreed upon by the city and the U.S. Department of Justice.

The agreement was filed in U.S. District Court in Bangor on Wednesday in the case involving a lawsuit filed against the city by Whitney Nichols, who contended that Caribou officials knew or should have know about former Fire Chief Roy Woods’ sexual harassment of city employees, including Nichols.

Under the decree, the city agrees to pay Nichols $85,000, designate an employee to serve as its equal employment opportunity officer, revise its sexual harassment policies and conduct sexual harassment training for all existing and new employees.

“It was a long process for her, and she is very pleased and hopes that this prevents someone else going through what she went through,” her lead attorney, John Gause of Eastern Maine Law of Bangor, said Thursday.

The city does not admit guilt or liability in the consent decree.

“Nevertheless, the United States, Ms. Nichols and Caribou, desiring that this action be settled by an appropriate consent decree, and to avoid the burden and risks of protracted litigation, agree to the jurisdiction of this court over the parties and the subject matter of this action,” states the document filed in U.S. District Court.

The document further states that the decree does not address or have any effect on Nichols’ claims against Woods, “which she and Mr. Woods have resolved separately.”

Woods, 71, pleaded guilty in June 2013 to five misdemeanor charges of unlawful sexual contact, assault and unlawful sexual touching after Nichols and another young woman who had been employed by the city came forward to report the crimes against them.

Woods resigned in January 2012 following a 44-year career, having spent the last 21 years as head of fire, ambulance and emergency management services for the city. He was sentenced to one month in jail.

According to the civil lawsuit filed against Woods and the city, Nichols was 17 when she first began working as a part-time janitor cleaning the emergency operations center for the Caribou Fire and Ambulance Department. Between Nov. 18, 2011, and Dec. 23, 2011, Woods subjected Nichols to sexual harassment, the lawsuit states, including unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.

Specifically, the suit stated that Woods repeatedly hugged her, putting his hands around her waist; texted her after hours; referred to her as his “girlfriend”; repeatedly asked her what she had gotten him for Christmas; and sexually assaulted her on Dec. 23, 2011.

The sexual assault happened after Nichols told Woods that she was interested in joining the city emergency response team. Woods told her that he had to give her a “physical” before she could join, according to the civil suit. On Dec. 23, 2011, when Woods and Nichols were the only two people inside the emergency operations center, Woods told Nichols that he wanted to conduct the physical.

Woods then used a stethoscope to listen to her lungs before starting to assault her, according to the suit.

Nichols vehemently objected, jumped off the table and tried to leave, the suit states, but Woods grabbed her from behind and tried to assault her again. Nichols again tried to leave, but Woods hugged and tried to kiss her. She then escaped and ran out the door.

Woods lied when he said that a physical was needed to join the city emergency response team, according to the suit, and Gause maintained that the “physical” was simply a ruse to sexually assault Nichols.

The suit also stated that Woods had sexually harassed and sexually assaulted other women while working for the city of Caribou, including another 25-year-old victim he was found guilty of abusing in the 2013 court case.

Nichols accused the city of violating her rights under the Maine Human Rights Act and the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, stating that she was subjected to a hostile work environment after she reported what happened.

She said the city retaliated against her by cutting her hours and assigning her to work in a different location after she informed her employer about the assault. She also said she felt that some members of the fire and ambulance department were ostracizing her through their gestures and expressions.

As part of the consent decree with the Justice Department, the city will need to prove that it has modified its sexual harassment policy. The modifications must include, at a minimum, provisions assuring that any supervisory or management level employee who receives an oral or written complaint of sexual harassment from an employee must report the complaint to Caribou’s equal employment opportunity officer within five business days of receiving the complaint.

Supervisory employees who fail to meet this requirement may be subject to discipline.

The city also will be required to hire an independent investigator who does not work for Caribou to promptly investigate all complaints of sexual harassment.

John J. Wall III, attorney for the city of Caribou, was not immediately available for comment.

Gause said Thursday that Nichols has since gone on to find other employment.