BIDDEFORD, Maine — The Biddeford police chief broke his silence Wednesday night regarding the sexual abuse allegations against former police officers.

Last week, residents were calling for the police chief and deputy chief to step down but Police Chief Roger Beaupre says he has no plans to do so.

“Unfortunately, when one side remains silent people draw conclusions from that silence,” Beaupre said.

Beaupre said he’s only staying silent because he’s being advised to do so by the city attorney and the Maine attorney general’s office.

“It’s particularly frustrating to me that we’re talking about transparency in government, yet we have laws that prevent us from saying anything,” Beaupre said.

A City Council meeting last week exploded when residents called for Chief Beaupre and Deputy Chief Joanne Fisk to be suspended during the investigation. Both Beaupre and Fisk were at City Hall for the workshop Wednesday night.

Beaupre says his focus is what it has been for the past 35 years and that’s protecting the city of Biddeford, but the added attention isn’t making that job any easier. “Right now, it’s difficult for Joanne and I to do day-to-day operations,” Beaupre said.

Beaupre said he firmly believes when the investigation is over people’s fear that he had any role in the accusations will go away.

“There have been some reports generated to me. I’ve dealt with them honestly and I have not swept them under the rug contrary to what some people want to believe,” Beaupre said.

The Maine attorney general says the department has cooperated. There is a public meeting next week and the chief said he might be there.