WALDOBORO, Maine — A Brunswick woman was arrested Tuesday night after she allegedly led Waldoboro police officers on a high-speed chase on Route 1 to Newcastle and assaulted law enforcement officers after she was stopped, according to Chief Bill Labombarde.

At approximately 9:45 p.m., Waldoboro police Officers Tom Bartunek and John Lash received word to be on the lookout for a light-colored sport utility vehicle traveling north on Route 1.

Bartunek, who had just finished filling his vehicle with gas, observed a silver SUV traveling southbound at a high rate of speed and passing another vehicle in front of the gas station, Labombarde said.

The vehicle later was determined to be the same vehicle the officers were advised to watch for, but it had changed directions, Labombarde said.

Bartunek stopped the vehicle near the Nobleboro town line, and the operator and sole occupant, Kourtney Sherwood, 30, of Brunswick provided him with a Maine identification card, not a license, Labombarde said.

Bartunek discovered Sherwood’s driver’s license was under suspension, and when he returned to the SUV to inform her of that, she rolled up the windows, locked the doors and turned the radio up, Labombarde said.

After Bartunek attempted to communicate further with Sherwood, she allegedly drove off southbound on Route 1, Labombarde said.

Bartunek and Lash, who had since arrived on scene, pursued Sherwood’s vehicle in a chase that reached speeds of up to 100 mph, Labombarde said.

The SUV struck a spike mat deployed near N.C. Hunt Lumber in Damariscotta by Lincoln County sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Sceviour and an officer from the Damariscotta Police Department.

Bartunek dropped out of the pursuit because his vehicle’s left-front tire caught part of the spike mat, but Lash continued pursuit, Labombarde said.

The SUV was stopped near the Route 1 exit to Route 215 in Newcastle, and Sherwood allegedly became combative, Labombarde said.

“When they tried to get her out of the car, she was combative. She assaulted officers when they approached, started throwing things at them [and] refused to submit to arrest,” he said.

Sherwood eventually wa arrested and charged with operating after suspension, eluding an officer, violating conditions of release, criminal speeding and operating under the influence of alcohol.

“We’re assuming it was alcohol, because she threw alcohol at the officers, Lash and [Lincoln County Sheriff’s] Deputy [Ryan] Chubbuck,” Labombarde said.

Sherwood was taken to LincolnHealth Miles Campus to be medically cleared and have a blood sample taken, then she was taken to Two Bridges Regional Jail, Labombarde said.

Other charges, possibly assault or assault on a police officer, likely will be brought against Sherwood, Labombarde said.