The first time Phil LeBreton went to the Bangor Drive-In, “Star Wars” was on the big screen in black and white. He and his brother laid a blanket on the hood of their parents’ car and listened intently as the now iconic theme song boomed through a speaker hooked to the door of the Cadillac Fleetwood. That was 1977, and LeBreton was 7 years old.

The Bangor movie spot closed in 1985, after waning interest in the once-popular activity. However, earlier this month, moviegoers again drove their vehicles onto the Outer Hammond Street lot for a night at the drive-in.

Carol Epstein, a partner in Cinema Bangor LLC, who announced in early April the drive-in would be reopening, was inspired after years of interest in the vacant lot.

“Even though we didn’t have a sign on it or anything, people would say, ‘Oh, somebody should buy that drive-in and reopen it.’ I must have heard that a hundred times. There was always this seed of continued interest,” Epstein said.

On opening night July 1, a double feature showed on each screen. The films “Jurassic World” and “Ted 2” lit up Screen One, while “Inside Out” and “Avengers” offered a family-oriented option on Screen Two.

“One thing that was nerve-racking about this was that people had good recollections for that drive-in experience. I was nervous that after 30 years it was going to be different,” Epstein said.

While attendance was low on the first night — something that “stunned” Epstein — she said attendance has since been on the rise.

“The simplicity of it is a kick-back to another era that people really, really appreciate,” she said.

“On opening night, there was some rain early in the evening, and I think it dissuaded some people,” Epstein said. “We’re pleased that our numbers are growing. They’re working their way upward, but we really need people to get out to embrace this experience.”

This isn’t the first time someone from the Epstein family has operated a drive-in theater, though. Located in Hermon, just past the Bangor town line, the drive-in was once owned by Epstein’s father and has been an unexpected venture for the local businesswoman.

“My dad worked here most every night in the summer. He’d come home for dinner, and I can still hear my mother saying to him, ‘Don’t be too late, dear.’ [My dad] only died in the last couple years. We never even thought about opening this again. … He would have thought I was stark-raving mad,” Epstein said with a laugh.

Crews began work in April, despite late snow, and continued preparations on the site until opening day on July 1. New buildings were constructed for restrooms and a concession, then they were painted an electric turquoise with pink accents — an ode to retro color schemes. Orange flags mark rows and parking attendants lead moviegoers to their spots.

The drive-in provides other options for entertainment, including a playground and picnic area. Films are shown seven days per week, and admission is $27 per carload. Sound is broadcast on an FM signal through car speakers. Epstein said the structure of the drive-in will remain the same throughout the summer, including the double feature, which she said “goes hand-in-hand with the drive-in.”

Plans are in place to host retro nights in upcoming months, including horror nights in October leading up to Halloween.

“We’re looking at some retro films, and I can certainly leak that ‘Jaws’ is one of the ones that’s being discussed,” Epstein said. Retro nights, however, will be a special occasion. “To get the numbers on a weekend night, we need the new releases. The retro stuff is fun, but it’s not going to turn out the big numbers every day per week.”

Much like LeBreton’s recollections, Martha DeRusha Bouchard has fond memories of visiting the Bangor Drive-In before its closing in 1985.

“We used to go to the drive-in all the time when we were teenagers. … It was a fun night out. It brings back old times,” Bouchard said. “I miss those things — the things that we were brought up with.”

Attendance at drive-ins nationwide has dwindled, with Hollywood-to-screen costs a major factor in their struggle to survive.

“The Hollywood companies are very tough, and it’s challenging being an independent,” Epstein said. “We rely on the income from the concession to make this economically feasible. We’ve tried to price [the concession] very reasonably to make it work. Without a strong concession, we can’t last.”

For LeBreton, who saw “Star Wars” at the drive-in so many years ago, there are plans to take his own kids and maybe even bring a blanket to spread on the hood of his car.

“I think anything that brings couples or families closer together is a great idea. … Families these days don’t even have time to sit down to dinner together,” LeBreton of Blue Hill said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *