FALMOUTH, Maine — A gas leak on Route 1 resulted in a few homes and businesses being evacuated.

The leak near the intersection of Route 1 and Route 88 was reported around 8:30 p.m. on July 14, and was caused when a one-inch line was accidentally cut by a contractor, according to Fire Department Chief Howard Rice Jr.

Evacuations at the Colonial Village condominiums and a few nearby businesses were just a precaution, Rice said. Summit Natural Gas repaired the leak.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.