As the U.S. Coast Guard continues to search for survivors of the El Faro, a National Transportation Safety Board “Go Team” arrived in Jacksonville, Florida, Tuesday morning to begin investigating the apparent sinking of the cargo ship, which carried a crew of 33 members, including at least four Mainers.

The 790-foot steamship last communicated with the mainland at 7:20 a.m. Thursday while on a routine run from Jacksonville to San Juan, Puerto Rico. The captain reported at the time that the ship was beset by Hurricane Joaquin north of San Salvador Island in the Bahamas, had lost power and was listing at 15 degrees. He also reported the ship had been taking on water but that the flooding had been contained.

After an intense search by air and sea, U.S. Coast Guard searchers found a body in a survival suit and recovered a heavily damaged lifeboat.

Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor said Monday morning that the Coast Guard presumed the ship sank in the last known location, northeast of Crooked Island, Bahamas.

“We are not looking for the vessel any longer,” Fedor said. “We are looking for potential people in the water, lifeboats and life rafts.”

TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico, which operates the El Faro, has declined to release the names of the 28 U.S. citizens and five Polish nationals aboard the ship.

However, the Bangor Daily News confirmed that the ship was captained by Michael Davidson of Windham, a 1988 graduate of Maine Maritime. Its crew included Danielle Randolph, 34, of Rockland, a 2005 graduate; Michael Holland, 25, of Wilton, a 2012 graduate; and Dylan Meklin, 23, a 2010 graduate of Rockland High School, who graduated from Maine Maritime just in May of this year.

The Florida Times-Union continues to update a partial list of crew members confirmed to be on board the El Faro.

On Tuesday, NTSB Vice Chairman Bella Dinh-Zarr said from Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., that the “Go Team” led by the NTSB’s Thomas Roth-Roffy and including experts with experience in “marine engineering, nautical operations, survival factors and human factors,” would travel to Jacksonville to begin an investigation into “what happened [and] why it happened and how” to prevent it from happening again.

An agreement with the Coast Guard provides for the NTSB to investigate a “major marine casualty,” she said, but reiterated that the two investigations would remain separate.

The investigation will include interviews with anyone involved with the El Faro, examination of the ship’s voyage data recorder, any perishable objects, records, marine logs and data and on-scene equipment.

The size of the debris fields will “challenge” investigators, Dinh-Zarr said, and they hope to recover the ship itself.

“We hope for the best,” she said. “We hope that the ship will be recovered.”

Two Coast Guard C-130 Hurricane Hunters returned to the air for a fifth day Tuesday morning to continue the search, as did one U.S. Navy fixed-wing P-8 aircraft, three Coast Guard cutters and three commercial tugboats hired by TOTE Maritime, according to Petty Officer Mark Barney.