Bruins’ Rinaldo avoids suspension

Boston Bruins forward Zac Rinaldo avoided a suspension from the NHL after his hit on Philadelphia Flyers forward Sean Couturier during Wednesday night’s game.

Rinaldo was ejected from Boston’s overtime loss to the Flyers and received a five-minute major penalty when he charged Couturier along the boards at the end of the first period. The league said Thursday after reviewing the play that it supported the game officials’ decision but decided against further disciplinary action.

Couturier suffered an upper body injury and did not return to play in the final two periods.

The Bruins also announced Thursday that defenseman Tommy Cross was assigned to Providence of the American Hockey League.

Titans QB Mariota again sits with knee injury

Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota missed practice Thursday for the second consecutive day due to a knee injury and could be in jeopardy of missing Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Backup quarterback Zach Metterberger is being prepared to start in case Mariota can’t play.

Mariota suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee during last Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins.

Tennessee coach Ken Whisenhunt was non-committal on whether or not he would start Mariota, and said he doesn’t have a firm rule about whether a player who didn’t practice all week can start a game.

Harvin not with Bills

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Percy Harvin is not with the team in London but has been the most discussed player on the team this week.

Harvin did not travel with the team for Sunday’s contest against Jacksonville because of what coach Rex Ryan described as a personal issue. He still wasn’t around Thursday, when the Buffalo News reported Harvin might contemplate retirement because he’s frustrated by hip and knee injuries.

ESPN reported hours later, citing a source, that Harvin’s frustration over injuries was accurate but refuted reports he is weighing retirement.

Cavs’ Thompson inks $82 million deal

Tristan Thompson and the Cleveland Cavaliers ended an impasse with a signed five-year contract on Thursday. The deal is worth $82 million and is fully guaranteed.

No player or team options are included in the contract, which appears to be a massive victory for Thompson.

Thompson and the Cavaliers had not been able to end a standoff that started on the first day of free agency in July when it was reported that the sides were close to an agreement.

The 24-year-old sought a max contract of five years at $94 million or three years at $53 million, but the Cavs previously would not offer more than $80 million.

Cavs superstar LeBron James urged the team to re-sign Thompson throughout the summer and into the preseason, saying the situation was a distraction to the team.

NFL, Jaguars extend London commitment

The NFL extended its agreement to play two games per year at Wembley Stadium through the 2020 season, the league announced Thursday.

The Jacksonville Jaguars will be involved in one of the games each year. The NFL has an option to extend the deal another five years.

Last month, the league announced a separate 10-year deal to play two games per year at the new home of English Premier League’s Tottenham Hotspur franchise, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018.

Sunday’s game between the Jaguars and Buffalo Bills is the 13th International Series game in London.

The NFL is playing three games in London for the second consecutive season.

“These agreements reiterate the NFL’s commitment to the UK, with two stadium deals running concurrently,” NFL International Series Vice President Mark Waller said. “To be playing in Wembley, the national stadium, and at Tottenham, in what will be London’s newest stadium, is fantastic. We are very appreciative of the Jaguars extending their commitment to the UK market, which emphasizes the club’s and league’s strong ambition to continue to grow the fan base for NFL football beyond the borders of the United States.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *