BANGOR, Maine — In an update Tuesday on the the investigation into the sinking of El Faro, the National Transportation and Safety Board said that the vessel’s voyage data recorder, similar to a “black box” used in aviation, has not yet been found.

The NTSB also said that while the vessel is oriented in an upright position in about 30 feet of sediment, its navigational bridge and the deck below have separated from the vessel and also have not been found.

The transportation safety board has contracted with the U.S. Navy to find the 790-foot El Faro, which disappeared on Oct. 1 on a regular weekly cargo route between Florida and Puerto Rico after the captain reported losing propulsion and taking on water. The crew included 28 Americans and five Poles.

The last communication between the 790-foot steamship and the mainland was made at 7:20 a.m., according to previously published reports. The cargo carrier lost propulsion and was listing after encountering Hurricane Joaquin north of San Salvador Island in the Bahamas, the captain said in his request for help.

Among 33 crew members lost aboard the ship were five with Maine connections: 53-year-old Capt. Michael Davidson of Windham, a 1988 graduate of Maine Maritime; Michael Holland, 25, of Wilton, a 2012 graduate of Maine Maritime; Danielle Randolph, 34, also of Rockland and a 2004 graduate of Maine Maritime; and Dylan Meklin, 23, a 2010 graduate of Rockland District High School and a 2015 graduate of Maine Maritime Academy. Another crew member, Mitchell Kuflik of Brooklyn, New York, graduated from Maine Maritime in 2011.

A search team aboard the U.S. Navy ship Apache found the wreckage of El Faro on Oct. 31. The vessel was found at a depth of about 15,000 feet near its last known position, just off Crooked Island in the southern Bahamas, according to a news release issued that evening by the National Transportation Safety Board.

A Navy salvage team launched a remotely operated submersible, known as CURV-21, to confirm the wreckage was from El Faro.

The NTSB said the team has reviewed sonar scans of the nearby debris field and has not identified any targets that have a high probability of being the missing navigational bridge structure.

NTSB spokesman Peter Knudson said earlier that if human remains are encountered during the submersible operation, the Navy will attempt to recover them. He said, however, that the wreck site is at a depth of nearly 3 miles beneath the surface, far beyond the reach of divers.

The next step likely will involve using the Orion side-scan sonar system to generate a map of the debris field, the NTSB said.

The sinking of El Faro was the worst cargo shipping disaster involving a U.S.-flagged vessel since 1983.

Reuters contributed to this report.