Disappointment has turned into opportunity for Ray “All Business” Wood.
The Bucksport High School graduate, whose mixed martial arts bout scheduled for Lewiston later this month fell through when his opponent experienced a medical condition, now will fight Nov. 20 as part of Bellator 146 in Thackerville, Oklahoma.
The former Maine-based New England Fights featherweight champion, 6-1, will face Mark “Tricky” Dickman (10-2) of Las Vegas, Nevada, in a three-round bout on the undercard of the nationally televised show at the WinStar World Casino and Resort.
The Wood fight is expected to be available for live viewing via video streaming.
“The fight [in Lewiston] fell through and it’s hard to find another opponent, and then I was approached with the opportunity to fight for Bellator,” said Wood, who now lives in Amarillo, Texas, after his wife, Tiana, recently took a job at West Texas A&M University.
“He’s a tough opponent on 10 days notice, but it’s an opportunity I can’t really pass up.”
Dickman, 31, is a three-time Missouri high school state champion who went on to become a four-time NAIA All-American at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri.
“He’s got a good ground game and good striking,” said Wood. “This is a fight I definitely wish I had a full camp for, but this I think is how a lot of people get their shot, on short notice.”
Wood first was contacted by Bellator officials on Monday, and the final contract work was completed by Tuesday night, he said.
“When I was approached with the opportunity it took me two seconds to think about it,” said Wood. “I didn’t even look up the opponent, I didn’t question it. I just said yes.
“It’s one of those things where you kind of have to take a risk to reach your goal. There’s no downside to this. I’m going in as the underdog, no one knows who I am. This guy has no idea what to expect, so it’s an awesome opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to it.”
Wood will be the second fighter affiliated with Young’s MMA in Bangor to earn a national stage in barely a month. Bruce “Pretty Boy” Boyington of Brewer, the NEF lightweight champion, defeated Rodrigo Almeida via three-round split decision on the Oct. 17 World Series of Fighting card at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Connecticut.
Since relocating to Texas approximately a month ago from South Carolina, where he had spent the last year after moving from the Bangor area, Wood has found a new training facility in Amarillo with some MMA clients but that caters mostly to boxers.
“It definitely helps me out a lot with my hands,” said Wood. “I’ve never had the opportunity to work with just 20 to 30 traditional boxers before.”
Wood has fought three times so far in 2015, first suffering a fifth-round loss to veteran Anthony “Cheesesteak” Morrison of Philadelphia in a February NEF title defense in Lewiston.
He followed that with a first-round stoppage of veteran Chris Kwiatkowski May 8 at Friday Night Fights, a Muay Thai show in New York City. That performance featured the striking skills of the former high school wrestler in a discipline that involves use of the fists, elbows, knees and shins.
Wood returned to the MMA cage in August to score a three-round unanimous decision over hometown favorite Carlos Vivas in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Wood was preparing to return to Maine again to fight undefeated Vovka “KGB” Clay of Amherst, New Hampshire, on the NEF XX card scheduled for Nov. 21 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston until that bout fell through last week.
“I was excited to come back up to Maine and do my thing,” said Wood. “I liked the matchup, but everything happens for a reason.”


