PORTLAND, Maine — A Portland man suffered severe burns Friday night after a cigarette set his pajamas on fire, according to the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office.

Portland firefighters went to the man’s apartment at Franklin Towers around 7:30 p.m. after a smoke alarm sounded.

They arrived to find Myron H. McLaughlin, 80, with “critical” burns. He was being treated Saturday at Maine Medical Center for burns to 60 percent of his body, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said in a news release issued Saturday afternoon.

“Fire marshal investigators say it appears McLaughlin was smoking while sitting in a living room chair and his fleece pajamas caught fire as a result,” McCausland said, adding there was no damage to the apartment.

Follow Nick McCrea on Twitter at @nmccrea213.