BRADFORD, Maine — Firefighters had to pull out a kitchen sink and cabinets Monday morning at a Storer Road home to put out a fire started when the homeowner attempted to thaw frozen pipes with a blowtorch.

Fire Chief Dusty Kelley said firefighters were called to the house about 7:30 a.m. by the son of the owner who smelled smoke in the kitchen.

“The homeowner caught the insulation on fire but thought he had gotten it out with a fire extinguisher before leaving for work,” Kelley said. “We had to pull out the sink and the cabinets to get to the hot spots.”

No one was injured and damage was confined to the kitchen, he said.

Kelley advised people to use handheld hair dryers instead of open flames to thaw out pipes during frigid weather.