BOWDOIN, Maine — Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office will continue to search Friday for the cause of a Thursday afternoon fire that destroyed a mobile home on Augusta Road and sent the occupant to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

James Norman tried to extinguish the flames and rescue his cats before exiting the dwelling, The Times Record reported. Norman was taken to Central Maine Medical Center, where he was seen and released, a hospital spokeswoman said Friday.

Firefighters from nine communities, including Bowdoin, Bowdoinham and Topsham, went to the home at 1156 Augusta Road, also known as Route 201, at about 3 p.m.

Bowdoinham Fire Chief Arthur Frizzle told The Times Record that firefighters had gone to the home earlier in the week for a furnace malfunction. According to the report, Norman told firefighters he was using an electric heater in the bathroom at the end of the home.