Attorneys for Kaci Hickox, the former Fort Kent nurse who treated Ebola patients in Africa, argued Tuesday that her federal lawsuit against New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and public health officials over her quarantine in 2014 should go forward.

Lawyers for the governor and state employees in January filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Trenton, New Jersey. The motion to dismiss claimed that state employees, including Christie, are immune from the claims Hickox, who now lives in Springfield, Oregon, has made. The state also said that she does not have a clearly established right to avoid a quarantine and that the decision to impose a quarantine was made without malice.

Hickox’s attorneys said Tuesday in a response to the motion to dismiss that “there was no probable cause to quarantine Hickox.” Lawyers are seeking a hearing on the motion, but that has not been scheduled.

The document reiterated many of the arguments in the complaint.

The lawsuit claimed that Hickox was held illegally and unconstitutionally in New Jersey against her will for three days and eight hours as part of a mandatory quarantine for anyone returning from certain West African countries who treated patients with Ebola. The complaint alleged that the quarantine violated her constitutional rights to due process and illegally deprived her of her liberty.

The lawsuit was filed in October 2015.

Hickox is seeking a minimum of $250,000 in compensatory and punitive damages, according to the complaint, along with legal fees and costs.

The lawsuit also asked that New Jersey’s quarantine policy, which is still in effect, be declared unconstitutional.

Hickox volunteered to treat patients suffering from Ebola in Sierra Leone as part of Doctors Without Borders during the 2014 outbreak and was honored with other health care professionals as Time Magazine’s 2014 “Person of the Year.” She returned stateside and landed at Newark Liberty International Airport on Oct. 24, 2014, and was in quarantine at the airport and in a modified garage at the University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey.

Upon her release, she returned to Maine, where Gov. Paul LePage and the Maine Department of Health and Human Services attempted through a proposed court order to prevent Hickox from entering public places and tried unsuccessfully to confine her to her Fort Kent home for 21 days, according to a previously published report.

Maine Chief District Court Judge Charles LaVerdiere refused to grant the order, ruling that DHHS had failed to prove that limiting Hickox’s movement was necessary to protect others from the dangers of the Ebola virus. In his order, LaVerdiere noted the irrational fears about Ebola and “misconceptions, misinformation, bad science and bad information being spread from shore to shore in our country” about the virus.

Hickox has taken no legal action against LePage or any Maine officials.

BDN writer Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.