Portland police released two security camera photo of the suspect. Credit: Portland Police Department

PORTLAND, Maine — Police are searching for a suspect in the double shooting that left one man dead and another injured at a Gilman Street apartment building late Tuesday night.

Police said David Anderson, 36, of Portland, was killed, and another unidentified man was wounded in the shooting at 88 Gilman St.

The multi-unit building is operated by Shalom House, a local organization which helps people battling mental illness secure and pay for housing.

Officers responded to reports of a shooting around 11 p.m. in apartment 305, where they found Anderson dead, according to a police release Wednesday. The other victim was taken to a hospital, treated for a gunshot wound and released.

Portland police Chief Michael Sauschuck said the two victims were visiting a resident of the facility, and that the resident they were visiting was present at the time of the shooting, but was not hurt.

The building is secure, so someone may have let in the alleged shooter, he suggested.

A man who spoke to a reporter before visiting the building Wednesday morning, but declined to give his name, said it’s not difficult to get into the building if you’re not a resident. He said the suspect could have just waited until another person was leaving, then entered before the front door closed behind them.

The police chief on Wednesday morning declined to identify the weapon used, how many shots were fired, how many people may have been present at the time of the shooting or what the shooter’s motivation may have been, saying the case remains under investigation.

The chief said that while police are “always concerned” whenever there is a homicide and the perpetrator is still on the loose, he downplayed any larger public threat, saying investigators “don’t believe it was a random act.”

“I would say that the individuals knew each other,” he said.

Police are searching for a “a white male, medium build and about 6 feet tall” who was seen running from the building. They released two security camera photos.

Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling was at the scene of the crime early Wednesday.

“If somebody gets murdered in my city, I want to understand as much as I can about the situation,” he said later. “I wanted to find out what was going on.”

Strimling said he spoke to Shalom House leaders Wednesday morning, and the organization was planning to send staff to the facility to help residents who may have been shaken by the incident.

The shooting was the first homicide in Portland in 2016. Both Strimling and Sauschuck described Portland as a “safe city” where homicides are still relatively rare. The city averages about two each year out of nearly 85,000 overall calls for police service, Sauschuck said.

In 2015, a May 25 shooting at an Old Port recording studio killed one man — Treyjon Arsenault, 19 — and injured another. Portland police arrested two men in connection with that case in July.

Then on Aug. 9, 48-year-old Freddy Akoa was beaten to death in his Cumberland Avenue apartment. Three men were later charged in connection with the murder.

Seth Koenig

Seth has nearly a decade of professional journalism experience and writes about the greater Portland region.