VASSALBORO, Maine — An early-morning fire gutted a house on Bradley Road on Friday, according to the town’s fire chief.

Crews were called to the residence around 7:30 a.m. and arrived to find the home engulfed in flames, Vassalboro Fire Chief Eric Rowe said.

Rowe said the blaze originated in a garage and quickly spread to the house.

Both homeowners managed to get out of the residence safely, Rowe said, but some chickens perished.

Rowe said an electrical issue is believed to be the cause of the fire.

Firefighters from Vassalboro, Winslow, Waterville, China and South China helped fight the fire.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...