Texans waive lineman in cancer remission

Offensive lineman David Quessenberry was waived by the Houston Texans one year after entering cancer remission.

The Texans, who drafted Quessenberry in 2013, planned to bring the offensive tackle back if he clears waivers. The procedural move was necessary to assign Quessenberry to the non-football injury list.

Quessenberry spent his rookie year on injured reserve because of a foot injury. He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins T Lymphoblastic lymphoma after a Texans athletic trainer pushed for more tests on a chronic cough in June 2014. Quessenberry underwent intense chemotherapy treatments and is still taking medication as part of his ongoing treatment.

Orlando to host Pro Bowl

Orlando will host the Pro Bowl in January 2017 in ongoing alterations to the NFL’s postseason all-star game designed to stoke interest.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said during his State of the NFL address before Super Bowl 50 in February that the game was not up to standards for competitiveness and entertainment value. Honolulu hosted the Pro Bowl almost every year since 1979 but the game was in Florida in 2009 at Miami Gardens, which then held the Super Bowl days later.

Disney, ESPN and the NFL are holding a joint press conference in Orlando on Wednesday to discuss the changes.

Blues coach signs extension

Ken Hitchcock is returning to St. Louis for his sixth season as coach of the Blues and signed a one-year contract extension.

“I’m not coaching after this year,” Hitchcock said Tuesday, hinting that he could seek a job upstairs with the Blues or another team. “I don’t know if I’m going to retire.”

The Blues were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs in the sixth game of the best-of-seven Western Conference finals by the San Jose Sharks.

Hitchcock, 64, is entering his 20th season as an NHL head coach. He has been head coach of the Blues since Nov. 7, 2011 with four of the top five regular-season point totals in franchise history and five consecutive births in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL players may not to go 2018 Olympics

The chances of NHL players participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics might be diminishing.

Commissioner Gary Bettman said before the start of the Stanley Cup finals in Pittsburgh that insurance and travel costs might keep the NHL from releasing its players for the Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.

The International Olympic Committee and the International Ice Hockey Federation subsidized the travel and insurance costs for past Olympics, but they might not in 2018.

Bettman said if the IOC and IIHF can’t come to an agreement on the issue, “I have no doubt that it will have a significant impact on our decision.”

Mets’ Wright dealing with neck pain

Third baseman David Wright remains on the New York Mets’ active roster for now, but he could be headed for the disabled list after receiving an injection in his neck on Tuesday.

Wright said Monday night that he’s dealing with a herniated disk in his neck. Until the shot takes effect in 48 hours, the Mets won’t know Wright’s status going forward.

“I think it’s serious,” Mets manager Terry Collins said.

Wright, who previously overcame career-threatening spinal stenosis, woke up with a stiff neck last week. He also is dealing with a back issue.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *