BANGOR, Maine — A Hampden man convicted of threatening his now ex-wife with a shotgun early Easter morning more than two years ago was sentenced Friday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to 2½ years in prison with all but four months suspended.
A jury convicted Perry Brent Antone Jr., 33, in February of felony domestic violence criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and threatening display of a weapon, a misdemeanor.
Superior Court Justice William Anderson also sentenced Antone to three years of probation. The judge ordered that Antone begin serving his sentence immediately at the Penobscot County Jail.
Antone had been free on personal recognizance bail.
The defendant told the judge that it has been 188 days since the incident that led to the charges and 188 days since he has seen his children.
“There hasn’t been a single day that I haven’t thought about these events and how I could have handled them differently,” Antone told the judge.
Assistant Attorney General Paul Rucha, who prosecuted the case, recommended a sentence of four years in prison with all but 18 months suspended, followed by three years of probation.
Defense attorney Walter McKee of Augusta urged Anderson to impose a one-year sentence with all but 30 days suspended followed by two years of probation.
McKee said that Antone suffered from two deployments in a combat zone in Afghanistan that “took a heavy toll on him.” McKee did not introduce evidence that Antone has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Antone was home on leave from the U.S. Army when he went out drinking the night of April 19, 2014, and returned home late, according to a previously published report. Antone and his wife got into an argument that woke the couple’s then 9-year-old son and then 6-year-old daughter.
Antone’s wife took the children out to one of the couple’s two vehicles but did not have the keys. Antone came out of the house with a shotgun and circled the car, while racking the weapon.
After a few minutes, Antone went back into the couple’s mobile home, about a quarter-mile off West Winterport Road, the previous report said. The woman took the children down the long driveway and called 911 about 1:10 a.m. April 20, 2014.
Hampden police Officer Ben Eyles spoke with Antone for about an hour before Antone left the home unarmed and turned himself over to police about 2 a.m., according to a previously published report.
Antone and his wife divorced last year, according to documents filed at the Penobscot Judicial Center. A protection from abuse order originally granted in 2014 recently was extended for two years.
He was discharged from the Army after an investigation found his wife had been a victim of domestic violence, his ex-wife told the judge Friday.
Antone was sentenced in November 2002 to a year in jail with all but three months suspended for a series of car burglaries and thefts the previous year.
The Maine attorney general’s office last year took over prosecution of the case at the request of Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy. Antone’s father, Perry Antone Sr., was the public safety director in Brewer and worked closely with Almy and his staff, according to a previously published report. He retired in June citing health concerns.
Perry Antone Jr. faced up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the domestic violence criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon charge. He faced up to a year in prison and a fine of up to $2,000 on the threatening display of a weapon.
Probation conditions include completion of a batterer’s program and no contact with his ex-wife. Anderson left Antone’s ability to have contact with his children up to a family court judge.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.


