The Chicago Cubs acquired flame-throwing closer Aroldis Chapman from the New York Yankees in a blockbuster trade Monday.
Chapman fills one of the few remaining holes on a loaded Chicago roster — that of an experienced left-handed late-inning reliever — as the first-place Cubs improve their chances to win their first World Series title since 1908.
The Cubs sent a four-player package to the Yankees — top shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres, minor league outfielder Billy McKinney, right-handed pitcher Adam Warren and minor league outfielder Rashad Crawford.
Chapman is expected to join the Cubs for their game Tuesday night against the cross-town rival Chicago White Sox.
Chapman, who was suspended for the first 30 games of the season under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy for his involvement in an incident in October, issued a statement through the Cubs.
“I want to thank the New York Yankees for trusting and supporting me, and I wish nothing but the best for the Yankees organization and my former teammates,” Chapman said. “I am excited about today’s trade and look forward to joining the Chicago Cubs and meeting my new teammates. It is a privilege to wear the Cubs uniform and to play for the fans of Chicago.
“As you know, earlier this year I accepted and served a 30-game suspension from Major League Baseball resulting from my actions of Oct. 30, 2015. I regret that I did not exercise better judgment and for that I am truly sorry. Looking back, I feel I have learned from this matter and have grown as a person. My girlfriend and I have worked hard to strengthen our relationship, to raise our daughter together, and would appreciate the opportunity to move forward without revisiting an event we consider part of our past. Out of respect for my family, I will not comment any further on this matter.
“I cannot wait to take the mound at Wrigley Field and look forward to helping my teammates deliver a championship to Chicago.”
Speculation circulated Monday morning that one reason why the teams had not announced the trade earlier was because the Cubs were attempting to sign Chapman to a long-term deal. Chapman, a free agent after this season, is making $11.3 million.
Chapman, known for a fastball that can reach 105 mph, has been one of the biggest names rumored to be on the trading block.
He has 166 saves over his seven-year major league career, the first six of which were with the Cincinnati Reds. The 28-year-old Cuban was 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA, 20 saves and 44 strikeouts with the Yankees this season.
“Obviously, we are aware of the circumstances surrounding Aroldis Chapman’s suspension earlier this season,” Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said in a statement. “We are also aware that he cooperated fully with the league investigation and takes responsibility for his actions. …
“I shared with him the high expectations we set for our players and staff both on and off the field. Aroldis indicated he is comfortable with meeting those expectations. Finally, my family, this team and Major League Baseball take the issue of domestic violence very seriously and support efforts to reduce domestic violence through education, awareness and intervention.”
Torres, 19, was the Cubs’ top-ranked prospect and No. 15 in baseball, according to ESPN baseball insider Keith Law. In 94 games for Class A Myrtle Beach this year, Torres batted .275 with a .359 on-base percentage, a .433 slugging percentage, nine homers and 47 RBIs. He had 19 stolen bases in 29 attempts.
McKinney, 21, was hitting .252 with one home run, 12 doubles and three triples in 88 games for Double-A Tennessee this season. He is a former first-round draft pick.
Warren, 28, is returning to the Yankees, with whom he began his major league career before being traded to the Cubs during the offseason for Starlin Castro. Warren was 3-2 with a 5.91 ERA in 29 appearances with the Cubs, including one start.
Crawford, 22, was the Cubs’ 11th-round draft pick in 2012. He was hitting .255 with three homers, eight triples and 30 RBIs in 83 games with Myrtle Beach.


