OWLS HEAD, Maine — A fire that destroyed a lobster boat Sunday morning has been ruled accidental.

Owls Head Fire Chief Frank Ross said Tuesday he was informed by the state fire marshal’s office that the fire originated with the battery on the boat. There has been no response to a telephone message left Monday with the fire marshal’s office.

The fire destroyed the 31-foot Double Trouble II that was built 16 years ago by the father of the boat’s owner Todd Nickles.

The fire was discovered at 4 a.m. Sunday in Owls Head Harbor.

The boat broke from its mooring during the fire and drifted through Owls Head Harbor toward other boats and the Ship to Shore wharf. Nickles said fellow lobsterman and volunteer firefighter Jimmy Philbrook went out in his boat with other firefighters and kept the Double Trouble from catching anything else on fire.

The boat is insured, Nickles said.