BANGOR, Maine — Keith Coleman told a neighbor three times that he would have “no problem killing them all” in the months leading up to the strangulation deaths nearly two years ago of a Garland woman and her children, according to testimony given on Monday.

The neighbor, James Smith, 22, of Garland, took the stand on the fourth day of the trial against Coleman, who is charged with three counts of intentional or knowing murder in the Dec. 20, 2014, deaths of Christina Sargent, 36, and her children, 8-year-old Destiny Sargent and 10-year-old Duwayne Coke. Coleman also is charged with one count of gross sexual assault on the girl.

Smith testified that he met Coleman through Dominic Sargent, 22, of Hancock, Christina Sargent’s eldest child. Smith, Coleman and Dominic Sargent had worked through the summer and into December 2014 repairing a nearby trailer for Dominic Sargent to live in. During that time, Coleman sometimes complained that he was the who one did the cooking and the cleaning and was the primary caregiver for Christina Sargent’s children, Smith told the jury Monday. He said that Coleman made the comment about killing the family in October, November and December.

“When he first said it in October, I didn’t take it seriously,” Smith said. “The second time in November, I didn’t believe him.”

But Smith testified that Coleman’s tone changed in December, a few weeks before Sargent and her children were slain.

“[Coleman] said that he might get kicked out [of the trailer] because she might be getting back together with Destiny’s dad, who was in jail,” Smith said. “He said, ‘I would have no problem killing them all.’”

This time Smith believed Coleman.

“That time I took him seriously,” Smith testified. “He was more stern about it, more convincing. He looked me in the eye when he said it. He was very angry.”

Smith admitted that he did not call police or warn the family about what Coleman had said.

Under cross-examination, Smith said that Coleman did not specify whom he would have no problem killing.

The victims’ bodies were found about 9 p.m. Dec. 20, 2014, by family members in a trailer at 12 Paul Road in Garland that is owned by Sargent’s aunt, Andra Medina, who now lives in Albert Lea, Minnesota. Coleman lived in the trailer with Sargent and her children. Police have said they died earlier that day.

Coleman then went to a store in Exeter and purchased a beer, Assistant Attorney General Donald Macomber, who is prosecuting the case, said in his opening statement last week. Coleman also visited the McDonald’s restaurant on Main Street and the now closed Radio Shack at the Airport Mall.

Edward Yvon, 26, of Bangor testified Monday that he was working at Radio Shack as the assistant manager on Dec. 20, 2014, when a man who had purchased a silver Porsche Spyder remote control car on Dec. 1, 2014, returned it shortly before noon.

“He said he no longer needed it and did not like it,” Yvon said in explaining why Coleman said he was returning the toy so close to Christmas.

Yvon was not able to recall if the male was Coleman or not. The name the customer used on the return receipt was Kevin Cole, he said. Because it was a cash transaction, no identification was required.

The cost of the toy was not revealed in court.

Also on Monday, Mark Hanson, who worked as a physician’s assistant for 30 years in Bangor, testified that he treated Christina Sargent on Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014, at the walk-in clinic run by Eastern Maine Medical Center on Union Street in Bangor. She was diagnosed with fluid in her inner ear, Hanson, who now works in Glens Falls, New York, said.

Sargent told him that she felt as if she had a bruise on her right cheek, Hanson testified. When he asked what had happened recently, Sargent said she had been slapped by her boyfriend the previous Thursday, the physician’s assistant testified.

Under cross-examination, Hanson admitted that he did not ask Sargent about other possible reasons she might have fluid in her inner ear, such as seasonal allergies or a recent cold. He also said that he did not see a bruise on her face.

Coleman was arrested Dec. 21, 2014, in Bucksport after the friends he was staying with learned he was wanted by police.

He has been held without bail since then.

His trial got underway on Wednesday before a jury of 10 men and six women, including four alternates.

The trial was scheduled to resume Tuesday before Superior Court Justice Ann Murray with testimony from technicians at the Maine Crime Lab. The trial is expected to go to the jury next week.

If convicted, Coleman faces between 25 years and life in prison on the murder charges and up to 30 years in prison on the sexual assault charge. The Maine Supreme Judicial Court has ruled that a defendant convicted on multiple counts of murder may be sentenced to life in prison.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.