HOLDEN, Maine — A local woman who police say was pistol-whipped by an unknown masked male in an armed robbery at her Dayze Lane home Monday night has been released from the hospital, Holden police Chief Chris Greeley said Tuesday.

“It came in as a gunshot,” Greeley said of the initial 8:30 p.m. call. “She said she was shot.”

The pistol-carrying masked man, described as possibly in his 20s, attacked the woman and during the scuffle “We believe she was pistol-whipped,” the police chief said Tuesday.

“He did get money from her. He got her purse,” Greeley said of the robber, who left before police arrived.

There was no evidence at the house, such as damage or spent shells, to indicate a gun had been fired, Greeley said. A man who lives with the woman and who was home at the time of the attack told police he did not hear a gunshot, Greeley said.

“She was so traumatized by seeing the gun,” the chief said, offering an explanation for the victim’s initial report. “There was a lot of blood.”

The woman suffered significant but not life-threatening head wounds and was taken to an area hospital.

“She was treated and released,” Greeley said.

No suspect has been identified, but the police chief said the criminal is not considered a threat to the public. “We believe the house was targeted specifically,” Greeley said. “We believe [this] is someone who is familiar with the victims.”

A Bangor police dog and its handler helped police search for evidence, Greeley said. No weapon was found, and the short track the dog followed indicated to police that the assailant fled the area in a vehicle, possibly parked in the driveway of the house. The address is a few hundred yards off South Road, which intersects with nearby Route 46.

Several Maine State Police and Holden police officers went to the scene of the assault.

“We’re investigating leads and we’re processing evidence,” Greeley said Tuesday. “It’s an ongoing investigation.

BDN writer Nick Sambides Jr. contributed to this report.