MACHIAS, Maine — The man who lived next door to an Oakfield couple killed more than three years ago in their home told jurors Wednesday that he recognized a photo of Matthew Davis in a news article posted on Facebook as the man who had fled the burning house.

Davis, 35, is accused of killing Michael Kitchen, 51, and Heidi Pratt, 49, on Sept. 23, 2013, then setting their house ablaze and fleeing in a stolen pickup truck. He also is accused of stealing other vehicles, setting other fires and damaging property.

William Lloyd of Oakfield testified on the second day of Davis’ trial that he and his wife, Shannon Lloyd, who is Pratt’s niece, were awakened that morning by gunfire. Both said they saw a male with dark hair in a buzz cut with wide eyes drive Kitchen’s truck out of the couple’s garage through the closed door but did not recognize him that morning.

The next day, William Lloyd recognized the man driving Kitchen’s truck as Davis, he told the jury. Lloyd said he saw a photo of Davis published on the Bangor Daily News’ Facebook page and recognized him.

The two men took a motorcycle class together several years before the slayings, Lloyd testified. Lloyd said that at that time Davis had long hair, which he wore pulled back into a ponytail.

Under cross-examination by defense attorney Daniel Lilley, Lloyd denied that Davis was a friend but admitted he had socialized with him occasionally years before the slayings.

Lilley’s cross-examination of William Lloyd was to continue about 1 p.m. after a lunch break.

Shannon Lloyd said she never was able to identify the man who fled the scene in Kitchen’s pickup.

The trial initially had been scheduled to start in Houlton in September. Davis’ attorneys, Lilley and Amber Tucker, had sought to move it to Portland, arguing that extensive pretrial publicity about the case would make it difficult to find an impartial jury in Aroostook County.

Superior Court Justice E. Allen Hunter originally denied the motion in August but moved the trial from Houlton to Machias in September, after a jury could not be seated in Aroostook County.

The selection process started last Thursday in Machias, and after four days, a jury was finally selected and seated Tuesday afternoon.

Davis faces charges of murder, arson, theft and criminal mischief. He has been held without bail since his arrest the day Pratt and Kitchen died three years ago.

The bodies of Kitchen and Pratt were found in a bedroom after firefighters were called to put out the fire.

An autopsy conducted at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta determined that Kitchen died from multiple gunshot wounds and Pratt from a gunshot wound to the neck. Several wounds were inflicted by a semi-automatic rifle purchased by Davis, according to the affidavit. Davis never reported the gun stolen, and it was found lying across Kitchen’s body in the burned remnants of the home, according to the court document.

Firefighters also found another truck belonging to Katahdin Forest Products on fire at the home when they arrived. Police believe Davis’ crime spree started earlier that morning at the forest products facility in Oakfield, where a flatbed wrecker truck registered to Davis had been backed into the building. The truck and office had caught fire. Police said video surveillance from that site showed the same white company truck that was found burning at the Kitchen home leaving the facility.

The truck Davis allegedly drove from the Kitchen home was found burning later that Monday morning on Richardson Road in the neighboring town of Island Falls. Another firearm found inside that vehicle belonged to Davis, according to the affidavit.

Police eventually tracked down Davis and arrested him at about 10:45 a.m. Sept. 23, 2013, in another stolen vehicle on Beaver Dam Point Road in Island Falls, according to the affidavit.

If convicted, Davis faces up 25 years to life in prison on the murder charges. Maine law allows life sentences when there are multiple victims.

BDN writer Jen Lynds contributed to this report.