BANGOR, Maine — The winter storm blanketing northern New England redirected a military plane headed overseas to Bangor International Airport Tuesday morning.

The Boeing 767 Atlas Air jetliner carrying 170 Air Force personnel was traveling to Pease Air Force Base in New Hampshire from Norfolk, Virginia, but was redirected to the Bangor airport at around 4:30 a.m., according to Heidi Suletzki, Bangor International Airport’s supervisor of passenger services.

“Everyone is in their hotels, and we’re waiting for the weather to get better so they can leave tomorrow morning,” Suletzki said Tuesday afternoon. “Diversions happen very often because we are the first American airport when you come over from across the ocean and the last one when you leave.”

Military aircraft diversions occur a few times per year in Bangor, typically because of poor weather conditions or a person on the plane getting sick, Suletzki said. However, the stay is typically fairly quick and kept under the radar. Tuesday’s stay was longer because of the lasting weather conditions and the fact the crew members timed out on their working hours, she said.

After the plane landed, the servicemen camped out around the airport for hours before being bussed out to four hotels around the city where they were to spend the night, she said. Once the weather is cleared up, they will continue on their path to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport in Germany, Suletzki said.

Many of the servicemen were lying on the airport floor sleeping when Bangor resident George Bridgham greeted them with a handshake and snacks Tuesday morning. Bridgham, a member of the Maine Troop Greeters board of directors and a Vietnam veteran, said it had been awhile since he’d gotten the opportunity to greet a plane full of servicemen to the city but was glad he did.

“I never got a handshake or a welcome,” Bridgham said recalling the time he returned from Vietnam. “I got worse than that.”

Many of the servicemen traveled by bus to the Quality Inn from the airport at 11:15 a.m., booking 59 rooms, according to Shannon Buck, a front desk agent at the Hogan Road hotel. A lot of them walked down the street to Applebee’s for lunch and were considering dinner options around town, she said. By mid-afternoon, the servicemen were in their rooms and unavailable for comment.

Several hotels and local businesses offered discounts to the diverted servicemen. Hollywood Cinemas offered free movie passes and the Charles Inn was offering lodging at a 33 percent discount, according to Kristin Jenkins, the Broad Street hotel’s assistant manager.

While the servicemen did not take the Charles Inn up on its offer, they did inquire about the free movie, according to the theater’s owner, Don Simpson, who hoped they would catch a show later that day.

“I think it was the right thing to do,” said Simpson. “They do an awful lot. When you can give a little bit back, it’s a good thing.”