Two New Yorkers charged with murder in the death of a woman whose body was found on the side of a Cherryfield road won’t be returned to Maine any time soon, according to New York authorities.

Carine Reeves, 37, and Quaneysha Greeley, 19, of New York City were arrested in Queens on Wednesday morning by local police and charged in connection with Shaw’s death, Maine State Police said Wednesday.

Greeley, who formerly lived in Lewiston, and Reeves made their first court appearances late Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night, respectively, in Queens Criminal Court, according to Kevin Ryan, director of communications for Queens County [New York] district attorney’s office.

Both refused to waive extradition to Maine, Ryan said. Greeley’s next court date is Aug 24. Reeves’ next court date is Aug. 16. An extradition hearing could delay Greeley’s return to face the murder charge for up to a year.

He also is facing assault charges in New York, according to Ryan. Reeves would not be returned to Maine until that case is resolved, which could take two years or more.

Reeves allegedly slashed the face of a 36-year-old woman at about 12:55 a.m. Feb. 25 in front of a gas station in the Ozone Park section of Queens. The victim had a laceration on her face from the middle of her left ear to her left nostril, the complaint alleged. It took 16 to 20 stitches to close the wound.

If convicted in that case, Reeves faces up to 25 years in prison.

The body of Sally Shaw, 55, was found around dawn July 19 on Route 193 by a passing motorist. Shaw lived in New Gloucester, according to her personal Facebook page. Her abandoned rental car was found about 11 miles away with front-end damage at the intersection of Routes 193 and 9.

Maine State Police detectives drove to New York City on Tuesday to coordinate the arrests with local authorities, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Details about the crime and Shaw’s relationship to the defendants have not been released.

“There are a great deal of investigative details that we’re not talking about publicly at this point,” including “motive and cause of death,” McCausland said.

The affidavit filed in Washington County Superior Court in Machias has been sealed. In other murder cases, affidavits have made public after defendants have pleaded not guilty.

The pair would not be asked to enter pleas to the murder charges until after they have been indicted by the Washington County grand jury, which next convenes on Sept. 15.

A previous murder case in which the defendant was arrested in New York may be a good indication of how long it might take for Reeves to be tried in Maine.

Mark John Barnes, now 47, was arrested in a New York City subway station five months after he murdered his mother Barbara Barnes, 59, on Dec. 20, 1999. He was not returned to Maine for trial until 2002 after he was convicted of crimes connected with an assault during his arrest.

Barnes began serving a 65-year sentence for murder at the Maine State Prison in Warren on March 8, 2017, after spending 14 years in a New York prison, according to the Maine Department of Corrections.

If convicted of murder, Reeves and Greeley each face up 25 years to life in prison in Maine. Like Barnes, Reeves could be tried in Maine for murder before serving all of his sentence in New York, if he is convicted of assault there.