One of two New York men convicted in a 2015 double shooting in Bangor was sentenced Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to 50 years in prison.

Thomas “Ferg” Ferguson, 38, of Brooklyn did not react as the sentence was imposed but told Superior Court Justice William Anderson that he did not shoot either victim.

“This is about the actions of one man,” Ferguson said. “I am not the person who committed these crimes. My condolences to the families for what happened.”

After a jury-waived trial last spring, Anderson in June found Ferguson guilty of murder in the death of Robert “Ricco” Mark Kennedy, 38, of Bangor and guilty of aggravated assault in the wounding of Barry Jenkins, 42, also of Brooklyn, on Nov. 27, 2015.

A jury convicted Robert “Rocco” Hansley, 28, also of Brooklyn, of the same crimes in November. Hansley was the shooter but the murder weapon had been given to Ferguson, who arrived on the scene with Hansley, as payment for a drug debt, according to testimony at both trials. Hansley is set to be sentenced Monday afternoon.

While speaking to the judge Monday morning, Ferguson described Jenkins, who testified against him and his co-defendant, as an “unreliable witness” who “lied on the stand.”

Assistant Attorney General Robert “Bud” Ellis recommended Ferguson and Hansley be sentenced to life in prison because the crime was premeditated and the intent of the defendants was to kill Kennedy and Jenkins.

Ferguson’s attorney, Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor, urged Anderson to impose a sentence of between 35 and 40 years.

Anderson sentenced Ferguson to 50 years in prison for Kennedy’s death and to 25 years in prison for the assault on Jenkins. The judge ordered that the sentences be served at the same time.

Jenkins testified in both trials that he and Kennedy were visiting female

friends at an upstairs apartment at 201 Center St. after doing some Black Friday shopping in the Bangor Mall area. They were getting ready to eat Thanksgiving leftovers when Ferguson and Hansley burst in and began shooting at about 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 27, 2015, Jenkins testified.

“They shot at Ricco and then at me,” he said. “I felt like I was going to die. It happened so fast.”

Jenkins said that both men had guns but he was unsure which one fired the bullets that hit him. Under cross examination, Jenkins said he could not remember making previous statements to the police or the grand jury about the shooting that contradicted what he said on the stand.

He also testified that at one point he thought Hansley had shot him as Ferguson stood behind the shooter and “waved a gun around.”

Two women, one who was outside the apartment and another who was inside when the shootings occurred, identified Ferguson as one of the men who burst into the apartment. Both testified that they were terrified they too would be killed.

In sentencing Ferguson, the judge said a specific motive in the case had not been proven but it was clear from testimony that Ferguson and Hansley “didn’t like Kennedy and thought he was snitch, and superimposed on that was the nature of the drug culture.”

Both men faced 25 years to life in prison on the murder charges and up to 30 years in prison for the elevated aggravated assault.

Watch for updates.

Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.