Ryan Smith Credit: UMaine athletics

BURLINGTON, Vermont — Ryan Smith’s overtime goal helped the University of Maine men’s ice hockey team defeat the University of Vermont Catamounts in overtime, 2-1, on Friday evening at the Gutterson Fieldhouse.

First goal (Maine 1-0): Brendan Robbins scored his first goal of the 2018-19 season only 4:11 into the game. Alexis Binner played the puck up the far side boards to a streaking Robbins. The senior corralled the puck and sprinted towards the Vermont net. Robbins wired a shot off the crossbar and into the goal. Tim Doherty was also credited with an assist on the goal. At the 15:49 mark of the first period, the Black Bears held a 1-0 lead.

Second goal (1-1): Conor O’Neil scored on the doorstep of Maine’s net. Keith Muehlbauer and Sam Becker thwarted the initial Vermont attack, but Vlad Dzhioshvili picked up the loose puck. Dzhioshvili threw a shot towards Jeremy Swayman. The shot missed everything, included the Maine defense. O’Neil, who was waiting on the weak side, buried the puck into the open net. Vermont tied the Hockey East contest, 1-1, with 3:07 left in the first period.

The second period was the dictated by penalties. Maine was called for three penalties that happened to be consecutive. Vermont was on receiving end of a penalty towards the conclusion of the second period. Neither side was able to benefit from 5-on-4 hockey, while each goalie posted a perfect frame.

Third goal (2-1 Maine): Ryan Smith scored the game winning goal in the five minute overtime period. Mitchell Fossier fought for and carried the puck behind the net until he was able to pass it off to Chase Pearson. Pearson, with an immense amount of patience, let the play develop in front of the net. As soon as Smith found space, Pearson put the puck on his stick. Smith’s one-timer found its way over Vermont’s goaltender’s shoulder and into the net. The Black Bears won their third hockey east game of the 2018-19 season on the overtime goal.

Jeremy Swayman finished the game with 34 saves.
The Black Bears went 0-3 on the power play, while they killed all four of the Catamount’s chances.
Maine blocked seven total Vermont shots.

Next: The two teams will battle again tomorrow, Saturday, December 1. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:00 PM in the Gutterson Fieldhouse.