Brady Keeper of the University of Maine fires the puck up the ice during a 2018 game. Keeper scored the tying goal in Friday's overtime tie at Merrimack. Credit: Peter Buehner

NORTH ANDOVER, Massachusetts — Brady Keeper scored with 56 seconds remaining in regulation on Friday night, helping the University of Maine erase a two-goal deficit to earn a 3-3 Hockey East overtime tie against Merrimack College at Lawler Rink.

Ryan Smith and Eduards Tralmaks scored a goal each for the Black Bears.

First Goal (Merrimack 1-0): The Warriors scored the first goal of the game 6:24 into the opening period. Chase Gresock found the back of the net on a breakaway chance. Derek Petti played the puck ahead to his linemate who did the rest. Merrimack grabbed an early 1-0 lead.

Second Goal (Merrimack 2-0): Logan Coomes gave his team a two goal advantage when he found the back of the net with 13:14 left in the second period. Jordan Seyfert made his way through the Maine defense and left the puck for Coomes. Coomes fired from the face-off circle and extended the lead to two.

Third Goal (Merrimack 2-1): Canon Pieper forced a turnover behind the Merrimack net. Off of the turnover, Pieper played the puck to open ice. Ryan Smith was crashing the net as Pieper made his move. The junior one-timed his shot past the Merrimack netminder. Maine only trailed by one halfway through the second period.

Fourth Goal (Merrimack 3-1): With congestion in front of Jeremy Swayman, Jordan Seyfert tipped home the Warriors’ third goal of the night. After the original shot from Merrimack was denied by Swayman, Seyfert followed the play. The Annville, Pennsylvania native found open net and scored his first goal of the season.

Fifth Goal (Merrimack 3-2): Eduards Tralmaks wasted no time in third period to score Maine’s second goal of the night. After he received a pass from Mitchell Fossier, Tralmaks made a handful of moves including going between the opposing goalie’s legs for the tally. The Black Bears trailed by a goal with 19 minutes to go in the game.

Sixth Goal (3-3): With Jeremy Swayman on the bench, Maine tied the game with 00:56 to go. Tim Doherty fired the puck to a wide open Brady Keeper. Continuing his hot second half, Keeper tied the game with less than a minute to go. It was the final goal of the Hockey East match-up. Play was almost continuous throughout the extra five minute frame, as the two teams battled to a scoreless overtime period.

Jeremy Swayman saved 28 shots for the Black Bears, as Craig Pantano tallied 32 for the Warriors.

Maine went 0-1 on the power play, while they did not allow a goal on Merrimack’s two chances.
The Black Bears blocked 17 shots on the night.

Next: The two teams will also do battle tomorrow, Saturday, February 16th. Puck drop is schedule for 7 pm.