A Maine State Police vehicle blocks off traffic on Waddell Road in Castle Hill. Credit: Nina Mahaleris

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — Authorities have charged a Presque Isle man in connection with the deaths of two Castle Hill men in August.

Bobby Nightingale, 38, has been held at the Aroostook County Jail on a previous weapons charge since a week after the incident. He faces two counts of murder for the deaths of 25-year-old Allen Curtis and 51-year-old Roger Ellis, who Maine State Troopers found fatally shot in a pickup truck.

Authorities have remained relatively silent on the Castle Hill case since beginning their investigation, leaving residents with little information about what happened in the early morning hours of Aug. 13.

[Lack of updates from investigators in Castle Hill homicide case stirs up fear and confusion in communities]

“There are pieces of this puzzle all over the place, and although I understand law enforcement has a job to do and there is a lot going on behind the scenes that the public isn’t aware of, we have a right to know what we need to do to be safe. We have a right to know [the] details,” one Castle Hill resident, who would only speak anonymously due to fear of retribution, said Aug. 20.

Nightingale is facing a total of eight charges for offenses he allegedly committed between Aug. 5 and Aug. 13.

On Aug. 5, he allegedly broke into a Presque Isle home around 4:30 a.m. Court documents stated that he intended to commit theft and injure a victim with a firearm during the incident.

Nightingale also faces a second charge of illegal possession of a firearm from Aug. 10 along with another charge for criminal threatening with a firearm on the same date.

[Friends and neighbors grapple with untimely deaths of two Castle Hill men]

He was previously charged with illegal possession of a firearm on Aug. 13 in Castle Hill, according to court documents. He made his initial appearance at Presque Isle District Court on Aug. 19, after which he was taken to jail and held on $25,000 cash bail.

Nightingale was prohibited from contacting six specific people and not allowed to return to two addresses in Mapleton and Ashland, according to court documents.

[Subscribe to our free morning newsletter and get the latest headlines in your inbox]

Nightingale, who has a criminal history dating back to the early 2000s, has frequently been in and out of police custody.

In 2006, he was sentenced to three years and six months in prison for illegal possession of a firearm and being in possession of a stolen firearm.

Two years prior, Nightingale was sentenced in Aroostook County Superior Court to four years in state prison with all but two years suspended on charges of burglary, theft, criminal mischief and violating conditions of release.

He also was ordered to pay nearly $9,000 in restitution in that case.

Nightingale was arrested earlier that year at his parents’ home after the Presque Isle Police Department used its tracking bloodhound to follow his scent from a Main Street law office to the boarding house where Nightingale had rented a room.

In August 2017, Nightingale and two other individuals were arrested for allegedly kidnapping and robbing a man with a knife at a Caribou hotel. Charges against all three of the accused were eventually reduced in the case. Nightingale pleaded guilty and was sentenced to serve 178 days in jail for criminal attempt.

Last May, he turned himself in to police after allegedly firing shots at an Oak Street residence. He reportedly surrendered himself with his lawyer present but denied involvement in the shooting.

Nightingale is expected to be arraigned on the latest charges sometime next week in Aroostook County Superior Court, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.