Rayshaun Moore makes his initial appearance in Bangor court on Monday. He is accused of killing Demetrius Snow on Feb. 1 in the parking lot of a Bangor nightclub.

The man accused of slaying a Bangor resident early Saturday morning in a nightclub parking lot was released from the Penobscot County Jail on bail less than 10 hours before he allegedly killed Demetrius Snow.

Rayshaun Moore, 34, of Bangor is charged with intentional or knowing murder in Snow’s death. He made his first court appearance Monday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor, where Superior Court Justice William Anderson ordered that Moore be held without bail and impounded the affidavit in the case.

Snow, 25, allegedly died of stab wounds.

Credit: Courtesy of the Bangor Police Department

Moore was not asked to enter a plea because he has not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury, which next convenes on Feb. 26.

Moore’s attorney, Hunter Tzovarras of Bangor, said after the brief hearing that he expected to argue that his client acted in self-defense.

“From the information that we have so far, my client was assaulted by the alleged victim and another man,” Tzovarras. “The murder weapon is alleged to be a knife, but some witnesses said that they did not see a knife, so we will be looking into that.”

Assistant Attorney General Lisa Bogue declined to comment on the case. It is the practice of the office not to comment on pending cases.

Bangor police and firefighters responded to a report of an injured man at Half Acre Nightclub’s parking lot at 190 Harlow St. around 1:15 a.m. Saturday. Snow had been in a fight that resulted in serious injuries and was taken to Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center, where he died, police said.

Results of Snow’s autopsy have not been released.

Police have not said if or how the two men knew each other.

A few days before Snow was killed, Bangor police had arrested Moore after he got into a fight with a couple in an apartment at 24 Harlow St., according to a court affidavit. Snow was not among the the victims or witnesses listed in that case.

Bangor police were called to the apartment shortly before 3 p.m. Wednesday, the affidavit said. Moore allegedly was intoxicated when he arrived at the apartment and got into an argument with the man and woman who lived there about “slavery and black imprisonment by white men.” That led to a physical fight, witnesses told police.

A short time later, Bangor officers spoke with Moore outside his Spring Street apartment, arrested him on two misdemeanor assault charges and took him to the Penobscot County Jail. He pleaded not guilty at his first court appearance at 1 p.m. Friday and was released on personal recognizance bail from the jail at 4:20 p.m.

In addition to the assault charges, Moore also was wanted Wednesday on two warrants for failure to pay fines on previous convictions. As of Monday morning, he owed $1,006 in three separate cases.

Moore has no felony convictions, according to his criminal history from the Maine State Bureau of Identification. His misdemeanor convictions include assault in 2017, receiving stolen property and criminal trespassing in 2018 and theft by unauthorized taking last year.

His longest stint in jail was 48 hours, according to his criminal history.

Snow also has a criminal history and was on federal supervised release when he was killed. He was arrested in October 2016 in Sidney on a federal drug charge.

He pleaded guilty in April 2017 in U.S District Court in Bangor to one count of possession of cocaine base, or crack, with the intent to distribute. Snow was sentenced the following September to two years in prison to be followed by three years of supervised release. He was released in July of 2018 but his supervised release was revoked in December 2018 and he was sent back to prison for six months, according to court documents.

That sentence ended June 10, 2019, when Snow returned to Bangor to live at the Bangor Area Homeless Shelter while he worked with his probation officer to find housing, court documents said.

Information about where Snow was living at the time of his death has not been released.

Moore was convicted in December 2018 of criminal mischief and domestic violence assault, both misdemeanors. He was sentenced to 14 days in jail.

If convicted of murder, Moore faces between 25 years and life in prison.