An 18-year-old Hampden man has been arrested for allegedly throwing two Molotov cocktails at a Bangor apartment building on Jan. 13.

Sunil Jones is charged with attempted murder and arson, both Class A crimes, according to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s office.

Jones, who made his first court appearance Friday, was not asked to enter pleas to the charges because he has not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury. This month’s grand jury session was cancelled due to the rise in COVID-19 case.

A possible motive for the alleged incident and whether Jones knew the victim were not discussed in court Friday.

Superior Court Justice Ann Murray set bail at $50,000 cash, the amount requested by the Penobscot County District Attorney’s office. Bail conditions include him living with his parents in Hampden under house arrest, no use or possession of incendiary devices, no contact with the victim or witnesses and not to be at the victim’s apartment building.

While on bail, Jones will be supervised with Maine Pretrial Services.

Jones is next due in court on March 8.

Defense attorney Anthony Trask of Bangor said that his client’s parents would be able to post bail.

Trask described Jones as a premed student at the University of Maine who did “a dumb thing.”

Jones is accused of tossing two of the incendiary devices at the back of a 10-unit apartment building on the corner of Park Street and Penobscot Avenue. The address is 208 French St.

A tenant called 911 at about 8:45 p.m. on Jan. 13 to report that an object had been thrown at her apartment that caused a fire, Bangor police said the next day.

The Molotov cocktails were thrown at a window in the apartment building but did not break it, according to the Maine State Fire Marshal’s office. The outside of the window casing had fire damage as a result of the bottle hitting the window.

The fire was extinguished quickly and damage to the building was minor, according to Bangor police Detective Lt. Brent Beaulieu.

If convicted of either crime, Jones faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000. He also could be ordered to pay restitution for repairs to the window casing that was damaged in the fire.