PORTLAND — The University of Southern Maine will host the fifth-annual Timothy B. Hussey Leadership Institute, beginning on Monday, March 28. The innovative, virtual event series will feature leaders from Maine’s business community, USM faculty experts, alumni, and special guests, including Kristen Miale, president of Good Shepherd Food Bank, and Katie Burke, chief people officer at HubSpot.
Kate Ebner, a nationally known leadership educator, coach, author, and speaker, will kick off the 2022 Institute with remarks on “Leading for Success: Innovating the Way We Lead.” Ebner brings deep knowledge and expertise about leading transformational change within organizations and communities. As the founding director of the Institute for Transformational Leadership at Georgetown University, she spent nearly a decade defining and developing a transformational leadership model designed to cultivate the capacities needed for leading effectively in the 21st century. Ebner is founder and CEO of The Nebo Company, an innovative leadership development and coaching firm whose services provide transformative impact for their international and national clients.
The virtual series spans two weeks, from March 28 to April 8, with six sessions, each addressing one aspect of the event theme, “Leading from Every Angle: Taking the 360 View of Leadership.” The Institute is designed to engage and inspire emerging leaders and is open to the public. All who are interested in authentic, values-driven leadership conversations, including members of the business community, students, faculty, and staff, are invited to learn more and register online at the Timothy B. Hussey Leadership Institute website: https://usm.maine.edu/career-and-employment-hub/hussey.
USM President Glenn Cummings said, “We are proud to be marking the fifth year of this signature USM event, which continues to spark meaningful engagement around the business of doing good in the world. The insights, expertise, and perspectives offered during these sessions will inspire the next generation of business leaders and equip them with the tools to build a strong, values-based business community in Maine.”
Early registration is encouraged for this powerful, content-rich program of national and local speakers and panelists. Registration for the general public is $65 and includes all six sessions and session recordings.
All sessions run from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. The full schedule includes:
• Monday, March 28 – Kate Ebner, founding director, Institute for Transformational Leadership, Georgetown University, and founder and CEO of The Nebo Company; “Leading for Success: Innovating the Way We Lead”
• Wednesday, March 30 – Susan Morris, principal of Susan V. Morris LLC and cofounder of NewHeight Group, and Drew Dumsch, president and CEO of The Ecology School; “Leading from the Rearview Mirror: Learning from our Past to Build our Future”
• Friday, April 1 – Kerem Durdag, president and COO of GWI, and Helkin Berg, founder of Elevated Technologies and Hey Freya; “Leading Down the Org Chart: Inspiring Employees to Lead”
• Monday, April 4 – Richard Bilodeau, USM faculty chair of The Hussey Institute; Jie Li, Assistant Professor of Organizational Behavior; and Larissa Malone, Assistant Professor of Teacher Education; “Leading from the Bottom Up: Motivating Better Leadership at the Top”
• Wednesday, April 6 – Kristen Miale, president of Good Shepherd Food Bank; “Leading for Tomorrow: Finding the Right Path in Uncertain Times”
• Friday, April 8th, Closing keynote by Katie Burke, Chief People Officer at HubSpot; “Leading from Every Angle: Seeing the Whole Picture”
For complete event details and to register, please visit the Timothy B. Hussey Leadership Institute website or contact: Catherine Tanous, Conference Specialist, Conference Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hussey Institute honors the legacy of one of Maine’s most esteemed business and community leaders, Tim Hussey. Tim’s commitment to the principles of servant leadership helped shape the southern Maine community over two decades as president and CEO of Hussey Seating Company, a 180-year-old family business. He envisioned an institute that would engage, educate, and empower Maine’s emerging leaders to do well by doing good.
Launched in March 2018, the Timothy B. Hussey Institute features nationally known speakers as well as local entrepreneurs in a program designed to equip participants with actionable tools and strategies, they can use to facilitate change within their organizations.
The Hussey Leadership Institute was created through the generosity of friends and family of Tim Hussey and through our founding sponsors, Hussey Seating Company, Kennebunk Savings Bank, Preti Flaherty, Cross Insurance, Dead River Company, Volk Packaging, Hancock Lumber, and Baker Newman Noyes.