HUDSON, Maine — Someone driving by a Corinth Road home Monday morning noticed smoke coming from a nearby garage that housed a chicken coop and called 911, Fire Chief Mike Simmons said.

The good Samaritan then went to the home’s front door to alert those inside.

“The wife was in the house sleeping,” the fire chief said. “He woke the lady up and got her out of the house.”

The fire was reported at around 9:10 a.m. in an addition to the garage. When firefighters arrived the smoke had turned into flames.

“We had heavy fire,” Simmons said. “We’re thinking it’s electrical at this point.”

The garage addition was used for storage and had a chicken coop attached to it, the fire chief said. Seven chickens were lost in the blaze.

Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office were at the scene Monday looking through the debris for the cause of the fire and determined it was accidental.

“The light or the lamp they were using [to keep the chickens warm] turned over and caught the hay on fire,” Sgt. Tim York of the fire marshal’s office said Monday afternoon.

The garage was not attached to the home.

“The garage piece is still standing, but the addition that was added onto it is pretty much destroyed,” Simmons said.

An unidentified couple rents the home from Robert Hall.

“Her husband was down at the store” when the fire was noticed, the fire chief said.

The wife escaped the building safely and no firefighter injuries were reported, Simmons said.

Local Hudson firefighters were assisted by crews from Glenburn, Corinth, Bradford, Alton and Charleston. Firefighters left the scene at around 12:30 p.m.