BINGHAM, Maine — A Bingham man suffered burns to his legs, arms and face on Tuesday night after attempting to restart a fire in his wood stove with gasoline, said Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

Brad Zinkovitch was rushed to Redington-Fairview Hospital in Skowhegan by Kennebec Valley Ambulance.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire flashed as the gas was being poured in the wood stove from a plastic container, McCausland said Wednesday.

The Bingham Fire Department responded to the call at 8:05 p.m. Tuesday. Chief Scott Laweryson said the single-story ranch on Murray Street sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

“One room has some structural damage,” Laweryson said. “The house is still standing and repairable, but I don’t think it’s habitable right now.”

A woman and two children living at the home escaped the fire without injury, although four family pets were killed, said McCausland.