FORT FAIRFIELD, Maine — Officials from the State Fire Marshal’s Office said Wednesday that a 38-year-old man is dead after his carelessly disposed cigarette likely led to an early morning fire at his apartment house.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said in a statement that the body of Norman LaPointe was found in his third-floor studio apartment at 13 Presque Isle St.

The fire broke out just after midnight. Three occupants of the two other apartments escaped the fire after being awakened by smoke detectors.

Fire investigators said careless disposal of smoking materials in a waste basket in LaPointe’s apartment is the likely cause of the fire.

It was the state’s fifth fire death of the year.