ROCKLAND, Maine — The 69-year-old man accused of trying to kill his wife last year by pushing her off Maiden Cliff in Camden is scheduled to go on trial in a little more than two months.

The trial of Charles R. Black has been scheduled for Dec. 3 in Knox County Superior Court in Rockland.

And on Tuesday in Rockland District Court, the couple’s divorce was finalized. The divorce judgment specifies the distribution of personal items. Black’s former wife, Lisa Black, will keep the house in Camden as well as property in Colorado.

Police records filed at the time of his arrest in April 2011 indicated that his wife recently had inherited $4 million and had told police that her husband had been taking her money without her permission. Lisa Black also maintained that Charles Black had been having an online affair with a former girlfriend from Arizona.

He was indicted in July 2011 for attempted murder, two counts of elevated aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated assault and two counts of domestic violence assault. Black has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The state claims that while the couple was hiking on Mount Megunticook in Camden Hills State Park, Black struck his wife one or more times in the head with a rock, dragged her body to the edge of Maiden Cliff and pushed her over. Black told police he had passed out and fallen forward, striking the back of his wife’s head with his head, according to the police report.

Lisa Black fell a short distance, but then got up and managed to make it down to the bottom of the mountain, where she was spotted by a passing motorist. She was taken to the hospital.

Charles Black was found injured after a subsequent search. He was arrested a few days later after he was released from Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

The defense has filed a motion to have the charges dismissed because it said the prosecution obtained Black’s medical records without going through the proper court procedure.

Justice Jeffrey Hjelm has that request under advisement. A hearing was held Sept. 5 on that motion by defense attorney Walter McKee.

Join the Conversation

4 Comments

    1. Interesting case.  I just hope the jury is not biased for the female victim.  If this was not the first time he “tried” to kill her why did she stay with him?   Money Could be either ones motive .

  1. I find this to be an interesting case and honestly don’t have any idea who is to blame! I believe I have read before (not in this paper) that the beneficiary to her inheritance was her child and that he wouldn’t get any of the money if she had died…which doesn’t seem like much of a motive to me! He would get more of it keeping her alive IF that is the truth. Also, if he tried to kill her before but the inheritance was “recent” then it doesn’t seem that is the motive and no other motives have been listed. However, on her end, she is mad that he was using her money and mad that he was talking to a former girlfriend online….there seem to be more motives on her side than his but yet he is the one charged. I’m curious to see how this whole thing unfolds!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *