Women’s soccer

WATERVILLE, ME — The Thomas Terriers (3-10, 1-6 NAC) fell 4-0 at the hands of University of Maine-Farmington Beavers (8-5-1, 5-1-1 NAC) on a rainy Wednesday night in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) women’s soccer match.

Ava Amador got the game’s first goal for the Beavers at the 6:35 mark as she got it past the hands of Terrier net minder Kate Thibodeau (Woolwich, Maine). Thibodeau would hold the opponents to the lone goal in the first half, coming up with nine saves.

The game would remain the same score until the 59th minute when Alida Peake would get an unassisted goal, picking the ball up in front of net. Keli McLellan and Kayla Tuttle would both find the back of the net for Farmington at the 69:14 and 83:21 marks respectively to give the away team a cushion.

The Beavers would end up outshooting the hosts 28-5, while holding a 9-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Thibodeau finished the game with 13 saves overall.

Colby 3, Southern Maine 0

GORHAM, Maine – The Colby College women’s soccer team got goals from three different players Wednesday afternoon to defeat the University of Southern Maine 3-0 in a non-conference match played in cold, rainy conditions at Hannaford Field.

The win was the second straight for the Mules and improved their overall record to 7-3-0. The Huskies fall to 2-10-0 overall.

The Huskies frustrated the Mules offense through the opening 40 minutes play despite being outshot. In the 41st minute, a miscommunication in the back created a scoring chance for sophomore Janie O’Halloran (Benton, Maine/Kents Hill), and she made the Huskies pay by burying an eight-yard shot for her first goal of the season.

After the break, Colby turned up the pressure looking for an insurance goal. Junior Annie Papadellis (Hopkinton, Mass./Middlesex School) would convert off a corner kick in the 57th minute to make it 2-0. Rookie Emma Marjollet (Hingham, Mass.) lofted a corner to the back post where junior Grace Dickinson(Northfield, Ill./Hotchkiss School) played the ball back across the goal where the opportunistic Papadellis popped it into the net for her fourth marker of the season.

Five minutes later, sophomore Cami Notaro (Bethesda, Md./National Cathedral School) closed the scoring with a 22-yard shot that dipped under the crossbar after eluding the outstretched hand of USM rookie goalkeeper Marissa Temple (Grafton, Mass.).

Temple played well for the Huskies registering 10 saves as the Mules outshot the hosts 24-3 during the match. SophomoreEmily Brook (Duxbury, Mass.) earned her third shutout, and fifth win, of the season posting one save.

Men’s soccer

Husson 3, Bates 2 (OT)

BANGOR, Maine — Husson University Men’s Soccer beat Bates College 3-2 in overtime Wednesday night at Boucher Field.

Husson got on the board first at 11:43 when First Year Cam Libbey (Hampden, ME) scored on a pass from Senior James Crockford (Watford, England). With a perfect shot, Libbey snuck the ball in the lower left corner of the net right past Bates First Year goalkeeper Joe Maffly-Kipp (Chapel Hill, NC).

For the rest of the first half both teams saw plenty of pressure in front of their nets, Bates led the shots on goal 13 -8 going into the second half.

Bates Senior John Murphy (Yarmouth, ME) tied the score up in the 49th minute when his curving shot found the back of a net on a free kick.

Husson answered right back at 50:34 when Senior Trevor Higgins (Kittery, ME) placed a ball up field for Sophomore Phil Frost (Bangor, ME). Frost took the ball past a defender and placed it in the net making it 2-1 Eagles.

Bobcat Sophomore Aaron Nickelsburg (Concord, MA) evened the score once again when he scored unassisted in the 82nd minute. At the end of regulation the teams remained tied at 2-2.

In the 96th minute of the game in overtime, under a heavy rain, Frost scored his second goal of the game when he headed in a free kick from Crockford.

“It was a great performance tonight. The guys got an early goal, but Bates came back, and we responded every time. We decided to play a lot of players tonight with 2 league games coming up this weekend.” Said Coach Jeff Gettler after the win, “It was a true team victory.”

Husson Senior goalkeeper Mason Smith (Houma, LA) stopped 10 shots, earning the win. Bobcat goalkeeper Maffly-Kipp stopped 11 shots. Statistically the teams were as equally matched as the scoreboard would suggest, Bates edged Husson on shots on goal 26-25.

With this win the Eagles improve to 8-4 on the season,

Johnson & Wales 3, UNE 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Sophomore Kyle Metz (St. James, N.Y.) notched a pair of goals to lead the visiting Johnson & Wales University men’s soccer team to a 3-0 victory over the University of New England in a non-conference match played on a soggy Barbara J. Hazard Field Wednesday (Oct. 10) afternoon.

The win snapped a modest two-game losing skid for the Wildcats, who improved to 8-6-1. UNE dropped below the .500 mark at 6-7.

Despite out-shooting the Nor’easters 13-4 in the first half, JWU was unable to find the back of the net until Metz directed a header off a service by sophomore O’Kyle Corridon (Selden, N.Y.) into the goal in the 42nd minute.

The Wildcats would double their lead in the 81st minute off a set piece when sophomore Dustin Hughes (Holden, Mass.) connected with Metz, who drove home his team-leading seventh tally from close range.

JWU tacked on another goal in the 87th minute as first-year Drew Lightfoot (Philadelphia, Pa.) converted a pass from Hughes.

First-year goalkeeper Austin Scoggin (Mattituck, N.Y.) made the Wildcats’ offensive output stand up, registering four saves, including a quality stop when UNE junior Matthew Christie (Hudson, N.H.) got behind the JWU defense in the early stages of the contest.

Sophomore Aidan McParland (Brockville, Ontario) had 10 saves for the Nor’easters, who trailed 24-10 in shots.

USM 1, UM-Farmington 0

FARMINGTON, Maine – University of Southern Maine forward Mazen Aljari provided the required offense while keeper Jeremy Turner kept host University of Maine at Farmington at bay long enough to lead the Huskies to a 1-0 win over the Beavers, in non-conference men’s soccer action Wednesday afternoon at Prescott Field.

UMaine-Farmington may have outshot the the Huskies 23-12, but it was Aljari’s shot in the 16th minute that found the back of the net for USM. Forward Ahmed Bin Afif was credited with an assist.

Turner then made nine saves to preserve the shutout for Southern Maine (4-9-0). UMaine-Farmington (1-12-0) keeper Paul Dupre (Rehoboth, Mass./Xaverian Brothers) was credited with four saves, including a splendid leaping stop on an attempt by USM’s Luke Pugsley in the 77th minute. The Huskies did hold a 6-2 advantage in corner kick opportunities.

“Our team is playing the its best ball of the year, and though everyone is tired of hearing that and coming up short, we have to remember we’re still alive in the conference on paper,” said UMF head men’s soccer coach Jon Evan. “Anyone who watches now can still that we are finally healthy and dangerous, especially when we out-possess and out-shoot our opponents.”

“What we need to do now is trust in each other, fight for each other, and believe that we can and will get the results to back up the quality of our play,” said Evan.