SKOWHEGAN, Maine — Robert Lee Nelson, the man convicted of fatally shooting a North Anson man in 2009, is scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday in Somerset County Superior Court.

Nelson, 41, of Anson was found guilty by Justice John Nivison in a bench trial in December. Nelson was accused of shooting Everett L. Cameron, 60, to death as the victim sat in his pickup truck on Town Farm Road in North Anson on Oct. 31, 2009.

Both the prosecution and defense agreed that Cameron was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2004 and had been selling 30-milligram oxycodone pills that were prescribed to him. Nelson occasionally bought pills from Cameron.

Maine Assistant Attorney General Leane Zainea said during the trial that on the afternoon of Oct. 31, 2009, Nelson met with Cameron in order to buy more pills. Nelson had owed Cameron $35 from a previous pill purchase.

Defense attorney Philip Mohlar said during the trial that Nelson left Cameron unharmed, but Zainea said Nelson shot Cameron in the head.

“All the stars and moons would have to be aligned for that kind of bad luck for the defendant,” said Zainea of the circumstantial evidence against Nelson. “Common sense and reason tells us that [the person who killed Cameron] is the defendant.”

A homeowner testified that he heard a gunshot near where Cameron was killed at about the time Nelson and Cameron met on the Town Farm Road. Nelson told police that he didn’t get any drugs from Cameron that day, but witnesses said Nelson was visibly high while at his daughter’s birthday party later that afternoon. He was also seen with a pill bottle that looked similar to that of Cameron’s, which was missing when his body was found.

Nivison found Cameron guilty despite the lack of DNA or physical evidence provided by the state.

Mohlar said in December that he was surprised by Nivison’s decision to find Nelson guilty.

Cameron’s family said after the verdict that they were relieved to have closure in Cameron’s death.

“One of the hardest parts of this trial was our father being portrayed as a drug dealer,” said Nicole Sacre, Cameron’s daughter. “Everett Cameron was a good man. He worked all his life until he was stricken with cancer and could not work any longer. He battled cancer and won with his family by his side. He was a loving son, brother, father, and he was so proud and happy to be a grandfather.”

Zainea said after the verdict in December that she was pleased with Nivison’s decision.

“I did come away from the court’s presentation with the fact that [Nivison] did not find the defendant credible, and he said as much so during his rendering of facts and his finding of guilt,” said Zainea.

Nivison said that Nelson told police, friends and family different stories about the events on the day of the murder.