BANGOR, Maine — An Aroostook County man arrested April 7 outside a Presque Isle bar pleaded not guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court to a federal gun charge.

Wayne E. Boulier Jr., 32, of Presque Isle pleaded not guilty to one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He was indicted by a federal grand jury on July 17.

If convicted of the federal gun charge, Boulier faces a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison and a maximum of life due to his extensive criminal history. A dozen felony convictions in Maine and Connecticut in the past 13 years were listed in the indictment that included charges of burglary, escape and assault.

In 2000, Boulier held off police with a rifle for about five hours at his parents’ home before surrendering, according to a previously published report. He was charged two years later with escaping from an Aroostook County Sheriff’s Department transport car and was captured about an hour later at an apartment less than a mile away in Mars Hill.

Boulier has been held at the Aroostook County Jail since his arrest outside Bou’s Brew Pub on Main Street. Presque Isle police officers and Maine State Police troopers responded just after midnight that Sunday and found Boulier in the pub, according to a previously published report. The pub’s staff reportedly took a loaded firearm from Boulier before police arrived.

He was indicted by the Aroostook County grand jury in May on charges of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, possession of a firearm in a liquor establishment, reckless conduct, two counts of unlawful possession of scheduled drugs and violation of conditions of release in connection with the incident at the bar.

A felony charge of domestic violence assault from an unrelated incident also is pending in Aroostook County Superior Court, District Attorney Todd Collins said Wednesday. If Boulier is convicted in federal court, the state gun charges most likely would be dismissed, the prosecutor said.

A date for Boulier’s next court appearance in Aroostook County has not been set.

Bangor Daily News reporter Jen Lynds contributed to this report.