ACTON, Maine — Acton’s fire chief was taken to the hospital for treatment Friday morning after suffering smoke inhalation while battling a house fire on Hopper Road, according to Chief Deputy William King Jr. of the York County Sheriff’s Office.

Fire Chief Peter Smith, 46, was taken to the Sanford campus of Southern Maine Medical Center. He since has been released, King said.

According to Young, the fire at 1077 Hopper Road was reported about 6:45 a.m. The unoccupied house had smoke pouring from it and the intensity of the blaze prompted firefighters to evacuate a nearby residence. Hopper Road was blocked until about noon.

Firefighters from Acton were assisted by their counterparts from Shapleigh, Newfield, Alfred, Lebanon, Sanford and Milton, N.H., as well as deputies from the York County Sheriff’s Office.

Information about the ownership of the house and whether it was insured was not immediately available.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Young said. The state fire marshal’s office has been asked to investigate.