SOUTHPORT, Maine — An apartment unit in a single-story duplex here was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning, officials said.

Southport Fire Chief Gerry Gamage said the north end of the building was burning when he arrived on Hendricks Hill Road shortly after 4:15 a.m.

No tenants were injured, as a neighbor heard a commotion and made sure everybody was out safely, Gamage said.

Once firefighters determined nobody was in the building, crews from Southport, Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor focused on saving the duplex, the fire chief said.

One apartment unit was spared but the other was gutted, Gamage said. Crews were on scene for about three hours.

Gamage said the fire likely was caused by a tenant smoking in bed.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...