BANGOR, Maine — A local man has been sentenced in connection with a spree of more than a dozen burglaries and thefts from businesses, including a local RV dealership, among other crimes.

Eugene L. Horn, 38, of Bangor was sentenced Monday to eight years in prison with all but four suspended, followed by three years of probation, according to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office. Horn also was ordered to pay $7,000 in connection with nine cases.

Horn was indicted in January by the Penobscot County grand jury on five counts of receiving stolen property, five counts of burglary, seven counts of theft by unauthorized taking, two counts of aggravated criminal mischief and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

He also admitted to a theft in Somerset County and a burglary and theft in Piscataquis County, Marianne Lynch, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, said Thursday. The cases were consolidated in the Bangor courthouse.

A second man, who was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center, remained jailed Thursday night at the Penobscot County Jail after a judge granted his motion for a new court-appointed attorney.

Paul St. Onge, 43, of Hudson, was expected to plead guilty to similar charges Thursday but his case was continued so he can confer with his new attorney.

St. Onge was indicted in January by the Penobscot County grand jury on four counts of burglary, four counts of theft by unauthorized taking, aggravated criminal mischief, four counts of receiving stolen property and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. He also has been charged in connection with crimes in other counties, Lynch said.

Both men have criminal records, according to a previous report.

The investigation that led to their arrest began Sept. 8, 2013, when the duo was “caught on video” when they pulled into Harvey RVs, at 2992 Broadway in a red Ford Escape registered to Horn, Maine State Police Trooper Tucker Bonnevie said a year ago.

“Multiple new vehicles were broken into and TVs and stereos were taken,” Bonnevie said. Of those, “15 of the burglaries [involved] brand new units and large flat screen TVs were taken.”

Harvey RV has provided an estimate to repair the damages done and “they range from $542 up to $4,500,” the trooper said. “In some, they ripped out the cabinets and others they ripped out the TVs.”

Some of the stolen items were found at the Milo residence of Horn’s girlfriend, but he took off before police could arrest him, Bonnevie said last year.

“Ironically, I had an unrelated traffic case in Newport District Court last Wednesday [Sept. 25] and Paul St. Onge walks through the door for a separate trial,” he said.

Horn then walked into the courthouse and said he was St. Onge’s ride. Both were arrested, according to a previously published report.

BDN report Dawn Gagnon contributed to this report.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *