South African female boxer dies after two weeks in coma

JOHANNESBURG — A South African female professional boxer has died following a knockout punch two weeks ago that put her in a coma, the sports and recreation department said on Tuesday.

Light middleweight Phindile Mwelase, 31, fell into a coma on October 10 after a fight against Liz Butler, who defeated her by a knockout. She died on Saturday at a Pretoria hospital.

South Africa President Jacob Zuma expressed his “heartfelt condolences on the untimely death” of Mwelase.

Mwelase is the third athlete to die in South Africa in less than a week. National soccer goalkeeper and captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot dead by intruders at his girlfriend’s home on Sunday night.

Former world 800-meter champion Mbulaeni Mulaudzi was killed in a car crash on Friday.

Broncos’ Champ Bailey reaches end, retires

Champ Bailey’s long and distinguished NFL career came to an end Tuesday.

Bailey’s agent, Jack Reale, said the 12-time Pro Bowl selection decided to retire after 15 seasons in the league with the Washington Redskins and the Denver Broncos.

The cornerback had been out of a job since he was released during final cuts before the season by the New Orleans Saints. Reale indicated that several teams had shown interest in Bailey since then, but he chose not to go that route.

The 36-year-old Bailey ends his career with 12 Pro Bowl selections, tied for second most all time with linebackers Ray Lewis and Junior Seau. Reggie White is the leader with 13.

QB Romo likely to play Sunday

Tony Romo is likely to be on the field for the Cowboys this week when the Arizona Cardinals visit Dallas, coach Jason Garrett said Tuesday.

Romo was diagnosed Monday with a back contusion and missed two drives in the overtime loss to the Washington Redskins while in the locker room, where X-rays were negative but a pain-killing injection was needed.

Garrett said Tuesday that the injury appears to be unrelated to the herniated disc that led to surgery for Romo at the end of last season.

Pats get LB from Bucs

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers dealt safety Mark Barron to the St. Louis Rams and reserve linebacker Jonathan Casillas to the New England Patriots before Tuesday’s trade deadline. According to reports, the Rams gave up future fourth- and sixth-round draft selections for Barron, a first-round pick in 2012. The Rams did not offer details on the draft picks involved.

The Patriots did not announce terms of the trade for Casillas. In another roster move, New England released offensive lineman Chris Barker.

The 27-year-old Casillas has spent six NFL seasons with Tampa Bay (2013-14) and New Orleans (2009-12). He has played in 55 games and started 15, accounting for 138 tackles, three sacks, five passes defensed, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and 26 special teams tackles.

LeBron, wife welcome daughter

LeBron James and his wife, Savannah Brinson, have a third child.

According to reports, the couple welcomed a daughter on Oct. 22 and James is not expected to miss any time with the Cleveland Cavalilers opening the regular season Thursday.

James and Brinson have two sons, Bryce and LeBron Jr.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *