PORTLAND, Maine — A New Hampshire man faces federal charges in connection with a home invasion shooting that took place last month in Saco, the U.S. attorney’s office announced Monday.
According to court documents filed by federal prosecutors, 58-year-old Gregory Owens of Londonderry, New Hampshire, traveled with a handgun to a Saco home where his wife was staying and attempted to “kill or injure” her.
Owens was arrested Sunday and charged with interstate domestic violence and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence, federal prosecutors said in a Monday morning news release.
If found guilty, Owens could face as much as 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines for the first count, as well as between 10 years and life in prison and an additional $250,000 in fines for the second count.
On Dec. 18, police responded to an alleged home invasion and shooting at 25 Hillview Ave., where a male resident of the home and Owens’ wife were found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds from what was described by investigators at the time as an unknown intruder.
Both were taken to Maine Medical Center for treatment.
The Hillview Avenue resident’s wife was not injured in the attack, Saco Deputy Police Chief Jeffrey Holland told the Bangor Daily News at the time.
The attack occurred early on the morning of Dec. 18, when the intruder forced entry into the home, awakening the people staying there, Holland said. The couple sought refuge in separate rooms upon being confronted.
A 55-year-old male was struck several times by gunfire, Holland said, while Owens’ wife, also 55, was attacked in a separate bedroom. The male resident’s wife, 55, was hiding under furniture and was not harmed, the local police official said.
BDN staff reporter Ryan McLaughlin contributed to this story.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.


