ROCKLAND, Maine — A 41-year-old Rockport man accused of driving into and killing a pedestrian in January and then leaving the scene without stopping is back behind bars less than a week after he was freed on bail.

Jeremy S. Stone was arrested Wednesday night, a day after his ex-wife withdrew the $2,500 cash bail she had posted on March 25 to get him released from jail. The reason behind her decision is not stated in court papers.

Neither his attorney Jonathan Handelman nor prosecutor Jeffrey Baroody said they were given a reason for the decision.

Stone can be released again if he posts the bail.

Stone had been held for seven weeks after his arrest on the night of Jan. 3o on charges of aggravated operating under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death and illegal attachment of plates. Police reported that Stone’s vehicle struck and killed 35-year-old Daniel F. Cormier that night while Cormier was walking on the side of Camden Street, near Pizza Hut.

Cormier was wearing dark clothing, and it was dark and rainy at the time.

Stone had been held on $20,000 cash bail as ordered by Judge Patricia Worth, but on March 25, Justice Daniel Billings lowered the bail to $2,500 cash.

According to police, officers were led to Stone by his ex-wife, who went to the scene of the crash and told officers that her husband had called her to say he had messed up and believed he had hit someone. When police went to a residence in Rockland to speak to Stone, he allegedly admitted he had struck something but was not sure what it was because it was raining and visibility was poor. Stone said he did not stop because he panicked, since he had illegally attached false registration plates on his Jeep Cherokee, according to the police affidavit.

Stone told police he had consumed three drinks of rum and ginger ale before leaving his residence, according to the affidavit. Stone also said he regularly takes Suboxone and Klonopin, which he is prescribed, according to the affidavit. The driver said, however, that on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the most drunk, he believes he was at about a three, according to the affidavit.

There was front-end damage to the Jeep, which was seized and towed from the Rockland mobile home park where Stone was found by police, according to the court document.

A blood alcohol test taken by Stone later that evening found his level at 0.09, according to the affidavit. A person is considered under the influence when the blood alcohol level is at or higher than 0.08. Stone told the officer that he had nothing to drink after the crash, according to the affidavit.

Stone’s attorney has filed a motion asking that his client’s statements to police be suppressed. He claims that Stone’s Miranda rights were violated by police and that the statements he made to law enforcement were not voluntary.

The next hearing for Stone is scheduled for May 1.