BELFAST, Maine — Police said the driver and a passenger in a motor home that suddenly caught fire on Route 3 in Belfast on Friday afternoon were lucky to escape unscathed.

Quick-acting employees of the Circle K gas station noticed the flames coming from the vehicle and were able to activate the emergency shut off for the gasoline pumps, according to Officer Rick Smith of the Belfast Police Department.

“Thank goodness they did,” he said at the scene. “We lucked out, there.”

Driver Franklin A. Hart, 66, of Searsport and passenger Steven Bonin, 53, of Stockton Springs were traveling west on Route 3 when they smelled something burning in Hart’s early-1980s model Shasta motor home.

“Of all places, they pulled into the gas station to check it out, opened the hood up and it burst into flames,” Smith said. “Right in front of the gas pumps.”

The men were able to get away from the burning vehicle. Firefighters from the Belfast Fire Department, located nearby on Route 3, got there fast and were able to extinguish the fire. The motor home was a total loss, Smith said.