DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — The local man wanted for murder in connection with the death of his ex-girlfriend in Parkman in June walked into the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s building just before noon Tuesday.

“I’m Robert Burton. I’m here to turn myself in,” he said as he surrendered, bringing to a peaceful end the longest manhunt in modern state history.

Burton, 38, who had confounded law enforcement officials and frightened residents for 68 days, entered the jail area of the building on Court Street near the center of town and was quickly taken into custody.

A jail official later said surveillance video had been reviewed, but it could not immediately be determined if Burton arrived at the building in a vehicle or had walked through town. Details about how he had eluded capture for more than two months while apparently remaining in southern Piscataquis County were not disclosed.

“Neither the police nor the sheriff’s department intend to release any further details today,” Col. Robert Williams of the state police said Tuesday afternoon in an email to the media.

Burton is facing a murder charge in connection with the homicide of Stephanie Ginn Gebo, a single mother of two, whose body was discovered on June 5 in her Parkman home. Piscataquis County Sheriff John Goggin said she was shot to death after Burton broke into her home while her children slept upstairs. She had ended a relationship with Burton the week before, family members said.

“It’s the first happy day I’ve had since June 5,” Ginn Gebo’s father, Vance Ginn, said shortly after noon. “He turned himself in, that’s all I know right now. The state police called here to say they were on their way to book him. I am awful happy, and finally there is a little bit of justice for my daughter.”

In July, Ginn issued a statement to the media amid the manhunt in which he urged Burton to turn himself in.

“Rob, I have a small message for you: Stop being a coward. Do what needs to be done. Stop putting your mother and your [family] through all this agony and pain. Do the right thing,” he said.

Messages left with Burton’s family Tuesday were not returned.

Police appeared to pull out all the stops in the search for Burton, who also is known as Robert G. Elliot. The manhunt, which was concentrated in southern Piscataquis County where Burton grew up but extended to other counties, involved hundreds of law enforcement personnel from several agencies in Maine and from out of state. Tracking dogs also were used. Electronic road signs warning the public to be on the lookout for the fugitive considered armed and dangerous were set up at strategic locations in the region.

A group of 15 agents with the FBI came to Maine July 20 to assist state police. They returned home recently, but FBI agents assigned to the Bangor office continued to assist and “offer up advice of lessons learned in the most recent manhunts in New York and Pennsylvania,” Maine State Police Lt. Mark Brooks said in a Sunday email.

There were confirmed sightings of Burton on June 17 and July 6 in rural Guilford, according to police.

In the end, he couldn’t be caught.

“It’s the nature of the region,” Piscataquis County Commissioner Fred Trask, a resident of Milo who knows Burton’s grandparents, said Tuesday. “I don’t think there’s anything more that the police could have done. They know the area. Those guys are very capable.

“How he survived was quite a feat,” Trask said, mentioning the speculation that Burton had some kind of help. “It’ll be interesting what they find out about how he survived so long.”

In addition to being wanted for murder, Burton has a lengthy criminal history.

Ginn Gebo died the day after his probation for previous domestic violence crimes expired. Burton’s criminal record includes more than 10 years in prison for domestic violence crimes in 2002 that ended with a 12-day manhunt. Staying in secluded camps that he broke into, Burton managed to elude police until he was captured at an abandoned camp in Willimantic.

Police had speculated that Burton was using the same tactics to elude capture for much of this summer.

Burton’s first court appearance is scheduled for 1 p.m. Wednesday at Piscataquis County Superior Court, according to the Maine attorney general’s office.

He is expected to be held without bail until the case is resolved. Burton will not be asked to enter a plea Wednesday because he has not yet been indicted by the Piscataquis County grand jury. A judge also will appoint an attorney to represent Burton if he cannot afford to hire one himself.

If convicted of murder, Burton faces between 25 years and life in prison.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 1-866-834-4357, TRS 1-800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

BDN writers Nick McCrea and Nok-Noi Ricker, and Presque Isle Star-Herald reporter Anthony Brino contributed to this report.