BRUNSWICK — It took more than 60 minutes for the Brunswick High School girls varsity soccer team to score its first goal, but once Anna Kousky netted a shot with 17:53 left, the Dragons took control for the rest of the game with a 3-0 win Wednesday.

“We worked really well as a team in the second half,” Kousky. “The goals just came off of the crosses from my teammates. I was in the right place at the right time.”

The Dragons (8-2-1) outshot the Witches (6-5) 12-4 in the first half of the Kennebec Athletic Valley Conference game that had playoff implications, but failed to get anything by Mikayla Henderson, who had 10 first-half saves for Brewer.

“I think she handled everything pretty well,” Brewer coach David Hamel said. “She’s a good keeper. She’s coming off an ACL tear a year ago, but I thought today she played aggressive today, played hard. She’s a leader and one of our captains. I thought she played a great game, but unfortunately the defense had a few lapses, and Brunswick took advantage.”

The Dragons had an advantage all half, possessing the ball for most of it, but the Witches had a couple decent looks as well but failed to find the back of the net.

Brunswick continued its aggressive play in the second half when a shot by Jenna Brooks around the 24-minute mark was turned away by Henderson and her direct kick just over a minute later was deflected by a Brewer defender and cleared.

The Witches had their best opportunity at the 20-minute mark with traffic in front of Brunswick goalkeeper Beth Labbe (4 saves), but were only able to register one shot and didn’t come away with anything.

With 17:53 remaining Lena Martin found Kousky on the cross to break the tie and give the Dragons and 1-0 lead.

Just minute later, Kousky scored her second goal on a Brooks assist to make it 2-0 with 15:31 remaining.

“I thought both of her goals were quality finishes,” said Brunswick coach Martyn Davison. “It made the difference in the game and she’s a great kid.”

Brooks almost put in another one moments later, but Henderson barely got her hand on it forcing the ball to hit the crossbar before she made the save.

At 8:23 Brooks nailed a shot outside the 18 that went over Henderson’s arms to make it 3-0. Henderson finished with 14 saves, while the Dragons had 23 shots.

“It was a great game,” Hamel said. “Our battle all year has been, can we finish and play a full 80 minutes. And today we got 63 in before we had a mental breakdown and let one of their players get open and finish.

“We have to prepare ourselves for playoffs so we have to prepare ourselves for 80 minute games,” he added.

The Witches held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks and had 11 shots.