PORTLAND, Maine — A year after one of the deadliest fires in Maine in decades sent shockwaves throughout the community, Portland has drastically altered its approach to housing safety.

A stone foundation and plywood memorials are all that’s left at 20-24 Noyes St., one year after a fire swept through the two-family home, killing six.

Portland Assistant Fire Chief Keith Gautreau said it’s one he’ll never forget.

“That was a once in a hundred year fire, really if you think of it that way,” Gautreau said.

The cause was deemed accidental, but officials have attributed the high death toll to life-safety violations, including nonfuctioning smoke detectors and a blocked second exit that left the victims unable to escape.

Landlord Gregory Nisbet was charged with six counts of manslaughter and misdemeanor code violations.

“I think it was really a wake up call for landlords. ‘Wow, could that have been me? What else can I do to make sure my tenants and my building are safe?’” Brit Vitalius of the Southern Maine Landlords Association said.

A lot has changed since the morning of Nov. 1, 2014. For one, the Portland Fire Department has resumed proactive inspections and is using the courts to enforce violations.

Gautreau said two ways out of any unit on the second floor or higher, a smoke detector inside every bedroom and the room just outside of them, and metal fire-rated doors that self-close are the most important things they look for.

Gautreau said they’ve cracked down on 250 property owners since May.

“It’s been a shock to a lot of landlords, this summons process, but it has been effective,” Gautreau said.

Until six months ago, landlords simply received a letter, which gave them 32 days to fix violations.

“People, I think, generally want to comply anyway and even more in the wake of the Noyes Street fire,” Vitalius said.

At the time of the Noyes Street fire, the Portland Fire Department had already put its proactive inspections program on hold in order to make improvements.

“The Noyes Street, the two family building, would not have been inspected by the fire department at that particular time,” Gautreau said.

The department only had the authority to inspect buildings with three or more rental units. That has since changed and so has the city’s inspection program, which used to be based only on complaints.

Art Howe is the first-ever housing safety administrator, a position and office recommended by the task force created after Noyes Street.

“We’ll rate properties by essentially risk assessment or matrix, if you will, and deal with higher risk properties first,” Howe said.

The office will hire three new inspectors, which will be paid for in part by landlords. They will have to pay $35 per unit, but they can get discounts for fire safety practices, such as sprinklers and no smoking policies.

Eventually, the city will have a database where residents can look up a property’s history of violations. Gautreau said he knows they are headed in the right direction.

It was a hard lesson that many people hope will leave a lasting impact on the city’s safety.