BANGOR, Maine — The defense attorney for one of two men charged in last week’s shooting at a Center Street apartment said Tuesday that the victims and defendants knew each other and the incident did not appear to be a “drug situation gone bad.”
Robert “Rocco” Hansley, 27, and Thomas “Ferg” Ferguson, 37, both of Brooklyn, New York, made their first court appearances Tuesday morning before Superior Court Justice William Anderson at the Penobscot Judicial Center on one count each of intentional or knowing murder and elevated aggravated assault.
Ferguson’s court-appointed attorney, Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor, said outside the courthouse Tuesday that the initial information he has received in connection with the case does not indicate drug involvement.
“There’s no suggestion tendered thus far that this is a drug situation gone bad,” Silverstein said. “It appears as if these individuals knew each other, three of whom knew each other from outside this area.”
Hansley’s court-appointed attorneys, Marvin Glazier and Kaylee Folster of Bangor, declined to comment on the case after their client’s initial court appearance.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Deb Cashman.
No new information about the Center Street shootings was available Tuesday morning.
Anderson ordered that the affidavit be sealed until Hansley and Ferguson are arraigned after being indicted by the grand jury.
Hansley and Ferguson were not asked to enter pleas Tuesday because they have not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury. The grand jury next meets on Dec. 30.
The judge also ordered that the men be held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail.
The defendants have extensive criminal histories in New York. Ferguson has been convicted of attempted murder, robbery and lesser charges since 1995, according to a criminal history record search obtained from the New York State Unified Court System. He was released from prison on parole in 2010.
Hansley has been convicted of drug and sex charges. He pleaded guilty in 2011 and 2012 in separate cases to criminal possession of marijuana. In each case, he was sentenced to time served. In February 2014, Hansley pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct and was sentenced the next May to one year in prison. He is listed on the New York sex offender registry.
Police on Monday identified the man who died early Friday as Robert Mark Kennedy, 38, of Bangor. He was born in Connecticut and has a criminal record in Maine that includes a felony burglary and misdemeanor convictions, according to his criminal history record obtained from the Maine State Bureau of Identification.
Kennedy was charged with possession of methamphetamine on Sept. 25 after being stopped by Brewer police for speeding, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office. He had not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury on the charge but was scheduled to appear at the Penobscot Judicial Center on Jan. 12.
Investigators have not released the identity of the second victim. He is being treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center, Sgt. Tim Cotton, spokesman for the Bangor police, said Monday.
An autopsy of Kennedy’s body was completed Sunday, but the medical examiner’s office declined to release any information about what it found.
Cotton said the investigation into what led to the shootings is ongoing. He declined to comment on whether investigators suspect the incident might be drug-related.
Police originally went to 201 Center St. at 3:30 a.m. and were there throughout the day Friday. Police cleared the scene and took down the crime scene tape Monday morning, according to Cotton.
The building consists of a pair of two-story apartments facing the street, with several other apartments in an addition on the back. Knocks on the doors of those apartments over the weekend and Monday went unanswered.
City records show the duplex is owned by Jimmy Phan, who owns rental and business properties across the city. He purchased the building in 2002 from a Scarborough firm. Multiple attempts to reach Phan were unsuccessful.
Neighbors over the weekend expressed relief that arrests had been made in the case.
Kennedy’s homicide was the 19th in Maine this year, according to state police spokesman Stephen McCausland. It is the first homicide in Bangor since 2013, according to police.