BANGOR, Maine — The 101st Air Refueling Wing, based in Bangor, formally welcomed its new commander earlier this month, a statement from the Maine National Guard said Wednesday.
Col. Frank Roy, who assumed his new duties on June 5, was welcomed in a ceremony at the base on July 10, according to the statement.
Roy’s duties include being in charge of the full range of command, discipline, training and morale issues of the KC-135 refueling wing in the Air National Guard.
“Col. Frank Roy is an excellent officer and the logical choice to assume command of the 101st Air Refueling Wing,” Brig. Gen. Douglas A. Farnham, adjutant general for the Maine National Guard, said in a press release. “He brings tremendous experience to the position with his vast array of military assignments and work ethic.”
Roy replaced Col. Adam Jenkins, who recently retired after 30 years of service.
Roy said he is honored to be selected to lead the 101st Air Refueling Wing, one of the most decorated Air National Guard units in the country.
“I consistently hear stories about how great the unit is,” Roy said. “Not because we tell them that it is great, but because we show them it is great in combat and peacetime in all that we do.”
Roy has over 30 years of military service and 3,300 hours as a command pilot. He started his career as a medic in the Maine Army National Guard in 1986, and he earned his commission as a U.S. Army second lieutenant in 1990. In 1993, Roy transitioned to the Air National Guard and joined the 101st Air Refueling Wing.


